my serama chick biting off more than she can chew?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by larps1234, Dec 8, 2012.

1. larps1234

larps1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    my a sized serama chick just hatched yesterday morning. this morning she just started picking herself up with her legs
    (7:00 am) . and about 1:30pm i took her outside to a patch of dirt to get her used too the fresh air and dirt, i found her eating

1. a good sized earth worm
    2. a brown catapiler looking thing that was underground. kinda resembled a mealworm. and about the same size too.
    3. a white larva thing that was underground too. all were about this big ----------------- and about this wide (0)

i couldnt believe my eyes! my easter egger chick that was three times the sis would not even peck worms this big? all were eaten within 3 min.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Goodness! My DH found a huge cockroach once and gave it to one of our small chicks. I started saying "It's too big" but when I looked the thing was gone already. I don't know where they put it!

3. larps1234

larps1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    update! its now 3:00pm and she has now eaten all together

1. a drop of yogert
    2. a good sized earth worm
    3. a brown catapiler looking thing that was underground. kinda resembled a mealworm. and about the same size too.
    4. a white larva thing that was underground too.

5. half a kernel of corn
    6. 7-8 rasberry seeds with some pulp around them!

i put her in her brooder and stoped giving her so much food! shes fine by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by