My Serama Cockerel is Naughty

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, May 22, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    He is 3-4 months old and he almost killed a pullet (tore out the feathers on the back of her head and she could never eat); after I took her out of the cage he startd bullying the other pullet;;;;;so,,,,,,,,what is up with that??????He is now in his own seperate cage,,,I am wondering if he will ever breed if I have to keep him alone

I thought they were supposed to be nice? He is very cute but nasty,,,,,,Spitfire

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I do not have any experience with Serama, so I cannot tell you what their "typical" behavior is.

I know that younger roosters tend to be overly aggressive as they are "learning" to mate. If you have larger standard hens, I would let him practice on them. I would put him with two or more standard hens(NOT THE STANDARD ROO!!) and let him rack up some experience. He will be a little less likely to damage the larger hens than the other Serama. Then after he has his routine down, put him in with two or more Serama hens.

Sounds like he is just an overzealous, beginner at mating. I noticed my cockerels tend to be more aggressive at that age and the hens scream because "they aren't doing it right" or "Ow, that hurts!"..

-Kim

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  3. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i would get another rooster and get rid of him. there are too many roosters out there that u might be able to save from being eatin..

for example i live in the country. but my nieghbor didnt want 6 of his barred rock roosters, and didnt want to bother finding homes for them so he went out there and shot them. and threw them over the fence... [​IMG]

i just sold my buff orpington rooster last week, because he was only 11 months old and was absolutely tearing my hens up! being that young and already acting like that he needed to go.

two of my hens have almost NO feathers on their backs! ouch! and he tore feathers and scratched them up really bad..

some wont even lay anymore. i have to catch them and rub sunblock on them for protection. its really sad. and he needed to go. it didnt matter how cute or pretty he was. there are more roosters out there.

and i actually found a MUCH better rooster and nicer one off of craigslist and he was free!

hope this helps

some roos are just mean...

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG]

I will try that

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Let me know how that works out. Just keep an eye on them, I would hate for the standards to damage your Serama. I don't think you'll have a problem though, I had a Sebright cockerel that ruled six sex-link hens without issues.

Older more experienced hens also have the squat down, so they know the routine themselves. Eventually he'll figure it out. The standards should keep him in line, my sex-links hens(2 years old) will chase the younger cockerels if it "ain't done right".

Then when you think he's ready for ladies his own size, give him more than one hen/pullet at a time. Sometimes a little rooster has a lot of love that needs to be spread around a little.

If he still acts crazy aggressive towards the hens, you may have to consider not breeding him or artificial insemination.. I do not think this is the case though..

-Kim

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

thanks for the good advise!! will do !!

I have some banty cochins that will give him a run for his money,,,,,one went after a black lab because it came into our yard [​IMG]

and I am also familiar with AI (banty cochins again)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by