My serama mamas

R3n3308

Chirping
Jun 24, 2018
Texas
I got my seramas from a breeder at the end of April. They were mounting then, and still are. Their wings look like sticks still. I currently have them on chick starter bc the protein (that could be a mistake) and I also give them oyster shells for the calcium. Plus treats scrambled eggs, watermelon, fruit etc. They still look awful, but my rooster looks great!
My smallest and most terrible looking serama (olive) decided to go broody. I decided to let her as long as she was getting up to eat and drink she would be fine. She started with 3 eggs. I thought my 2nd serama (oreo) stopped laying due to the heat. I made them a large amount of scrambled eggs and discovered serama 1 (olive) is now sitting on 5 eggs.

>>>>If I need to take the eggs out, how do I know what ones to take?
>>>>How many eggs can a serama sit on?
Will she sit on them if they hatch out a week apart?
>>>>Should I change their diet?
What's the purpose of the different feeds. I know they vary in protein and calcium, I really just wanna buy 1 kind of feed but I have new chicks to 1.5years.
>>>>How long until their feathers and wing feathers come back? It's been about 3 months!

Attachments

• 20180701_191654.jpg
    20180701_191654.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20180701_191710.jpg
    20180701_191710.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180701_191719.jpg
    20180701_191719.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 20
Feed everyone a non medicated starter grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. Looks like some of your birds are frizzle? And potentially frazzled? I'm not sure why the one has feathers like that. Is there a sheath covering the feathers?

You should always mark your eggs and remove extras daily so you don't end up with a staggered hatch. How many days setting?

Feed everyone a non medicated starter grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. Looks like some of your birds are frizzle? And potentially frazzled? I'm not sure why the one has feathers like that. Is there a sheath covering the feathers?

You should always mark your eggs and remove extras daily so you don't end up with a staggered hatch. How many days setting?

10. I just marked them tonight. Took the duds out from under her. What do you mean a sheath covering her feather? They both have wings like that.

10. I just marked them tonight. Took the duds out from under her. What do you mean a sheath covering her feather? They both have wings like that.
When feather emerge and grow initially there's a protective sheath covering the feathers that the bird eventually preens off. Since your pictures look like there is just a shaft, I was wondering if it still had the sheath on it or was the feathers missing all the barbs? I have occasionally see wing feathers on silkies that are mostly shafts, but often they just are still covered in the sheath yet.

When feather emerge and grow initially there's a protective sheath covering the feathers that the bird eventually preens off. Since your pictures look like there is just a shaft, I was wondering if it still had the sheath on it or was the feathers missing all the barbs? I have occasionally see wing feathers on silkies that are mostly shafts, but often they just are still covered in the sheath yet.

Not sure I can take a more close up photo tomorrow if I have time before work!

Looks like some feathers are finally coming in toward the end of her wings. Sorry it took so long to reply back. I've also had to move the other broody one in the house today bc her comb was looking pale. None of them have any bugs that I can see.

Attachments

• 20180716_183652.jpg
    20180716_183652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20180716_183728.jpg
    20180716_183728.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
You may want to try gently rolling those feathers between your fingers to see if you can start to break away the sheath a bit, at least at the tips, to get them started. If the bird seems uncomfortable probably stop, or if it doesn't seem to remove them. If the feathers are done growing that needs to come off. You can tell a feather is grown in because the blood core will regress.

The pale comb is normal for a broody. Not sure why, but it is. Happens to all of my broodies, and to every broody I’ve read about.
Comb color is used as a visual indicator of a chickens reproductive health and status. Combs get pale and shrink when birds go out of lay and aren't producing. A red plump comb on a hen let's a rooster know who he should be mating.

You may want to try gently rolling those feathers between your fingers to see if you can start to break away the sheath a bit, at least at the tips, to get them started. If the bird seems uncomfortable probably stop, or if it doesn't seem to remove them. If the feathers are done growing that needs to come off. You can tell a feather is grown in because the blood core will regress.

And this is the other one. Hers are breaking off and idk why. We haven't handled them alot bc they are moulting.

Attachments

• 20180717_101350.jpg
    20180717_101350.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180717_101356.jpg
    20180717_101356.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom