My seven-weeker just SQUATTED O.o

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Uzuri, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Yeah, so after two weeks on the grass, we've gone from being afraid to come out, to reluctant to go in. So tonight we went to severe measures. Caught the EE, put her in (much screaming). Caught the golden buff, put her in (much screaming). Reached for the barred rock -- *squat*

This naturally caused a serious moment of what. I'm talking a shoulders in the air, head down, butt up squat.

Here's the precocious little ladies. The rock is, of course, in front:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    first off are you sure that they are 7 weeks, second, are you sure she squatted and has she done it more than once, and third you have some very beautiful girls.[​IMG]

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Absolutely certain -- they hatched August 1 and were shipped straight to me. I'm familiar with the squat, which is why it shocked me so much; I have a number of older girls who squat for me at the drop of a hat. This was textbook. I thought she did it earlier in the week but blew it off as my imagination -- today's wasn't imagined.

Dad claims he's never seen such "mature" looking babies. I don't want them to be maturing too fast, though; that's generally not a good thing! So far as I know the only things I've done differently from usual are: no light (they were raise on hot water bottles) and they hit the dirt for the first time for brief periods at 4 weeks.

But they are pretty little buggers, aren't they [​IMG]

4. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    I'm still learning about chickens and their behaviors. What is significant about "the squat"? Please explain. Thanks.

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    squatting is a submissive behavior as well. Low on the totem pole roosters will do it to show submission.

6. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:The squat is the hen mating position and generally it is a sign that the hormones are flowing. For non-egg layers, it is usually a sign that eggs are coming soon.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I was going to say that they recognize you and the sonority and just felt obliged to squat to show you she is yours and to be touched. I have 6 now as of yesterday and my RIR is the only one that actually squats when I come near bc she wants to be picked up and loved too.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You sure she wasn't pooping? [​IMG] I've known quite a few birds to poop, or at least try to poop, and appear exactly as if they're squatting.

9. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:Good point! [​IMG]

10. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    One of my Wyandottes squatted a couple of weeks ago, around 12wks. They are about 15.5wks now. I was surprised too, but decided it was a submissive act. I don't have any eggs and they aren't showing any other signs of going to start laying either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by