My Sex Link died last night

It's a weekend so it may be tough. Your county extension agency (in the phone book under county government) can normally give you that information but they are probably closed. You can try calling your local health department.

I've tried that link also and have never gotten it to work.

Do you have a regular vet? Give them a call and see if they can point you in the right direction. Until then, wrap her in a plastic bag and keep her in the fridge. She will be fine in there until Monday morning. Do not freeze! That will destroy sensitive tissues.

Thanks for letting me know. I fixed the link in post #3 above, and in the Emergencies sticky where I found it.

Things do change fast on the internet!

Last edited:
You are in California. I had mine necropsied - no charge - at the California Department of Food and Agriculture, Animal Health & Food Safety Services, Animal Health Branch. Sorry that name is so long - had to copy all of it in case you do a search for it. Anyway, here's some phone numbers. I don't think you are anywhere close to me - I'm in the L.A. area - actually south of there. I went to San Bernardino to have mine done. When I talked to them on the phone, they told me they work 7 days a week, so you may try calling there to see if someone will pick up. That number in SB is 909-383-4287. They might be able to direct you to the lab assigned for your area. Here is another number : (I haven't tried it but it is on an avian calendar provided by the State of Calif. It says to report sick or dead birds, call the sick bird hotline 866-922-2473. The lab will provide surveillance testing at no charge for backyard poultry submitted for necropsy.

If you need more help in finding them, let me know I'll find more numbers for you if I can. Mine was a BSL too, still miss the little girl - they steal your heart. So sorry for your loss.

Also, the posts about refrigerating - not freezing, right on. I put in a cooler with regular ice (not dry ice).

Back
Top Bottom