my 'shed" was delivered today

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dovecanyon, Nov 5, 2009.

1. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    OK, so now I get to start remodeling... I got this shed for $99., it was delivered today. It is 5' x 7' x 8' tall. Here is my basic plan, please feel free to make any suggestions or comments!

I plan to make a 2nd "floor" about 3 feet above the original floor, and use that space for storing my feed, bedding, etc. I have a nice window to put in the side and a big skylight for the roof. I thought I would cut windows in the doors (one or both) for added ventilation. Nest box will sit on the floor, or slightly raised and roosts will be higher, maybe 3 feet and 4 feet. I only have 4 chickies right now, so they will have a lot of room, but I am sure I won't be able to resist getting more in the spring. I have a chain-link dog run that is 8x8x6tall. I have read all of the advice about using a smaller mesh on the lower portion of the chain-link, so I will do that. I plan to place the run against the side and put the little chicken door below the window. The building behind it is my garage, so I will have electricity for extra light. Here are pics of what it looks like now:

This is the front...
    [​IMG]

The front and side...
    [​IMG]

With one door open... (don't know where the ghost came from???)
    [​IMG]

With both doors open...
    [​IMG]

and what the back looks like...
    [​IMG]

It is very solid and HEAVY. Weighs approx 500 lbs.
    So, what do you think?

2. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I think it is wonderful, and your plans for it make sense to me (but I don't have my coop yet, so what do I know?). A great deal, too!

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I wish I had something like that to start out with! Looks S.O.L.I.D! Love the double doors.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That's a good, solid frame to work with. At a great price, too!

The first thing that pops into my mind when I think about your idea to build a second floor above the bottom is...how the heck are you going to reach the stuff in the back of that part (5 feet deep, right?), and how are you going to reach the back of your coop to clean things out there? If you stand on this raised floor, you're going to have to stoop, unless you happen to be shorter than 5 feet. If I were you, I might rethink that part of the plan.

You've got plenty of space up high to build in some nice vents. Looks like you're off to a great start.

5. dovecanyon

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Quote:Thanks elmo! This is exactly why I put up the pictures BEFORE starting work. It just seemed like so much wasted space being 8' tall. But you are absolutely right.

6. elmo

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Thanks elmo! This is exactly why I put up the pictures BEFORE starting work. It just seemed like so much wasted space being 8' tall. But you are absolutely right.

You're welcome!

There are many people here who have rigged a kind of double decker arrangement inside their coops. What they do is build a partial floor under the roost, with a pan or droppings board that they clean out. Underneath is usable floor space for their chickens to hang out and do chicken things (or a place for the nest boxes), and this also means they don't have to bend down to clean up the night's poops under the roost. The older I get, the more I appreciate not having to bend down to get work done.

If you search "droppings board" here on this site I think you'll even come up with pictures of this kind of arrangement.

7. elmo

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  8. dovecanyon

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Yep, perfect! That's exactly what I will do. You are right about being able to make it higher. Why couldn't I make some doors for under the droppings board and use that space for storage? I don't really need much, just enough for the food, shavings and DE bags. I could still leave one end open for the nest box under there too, or put it on the opposite side? I will sit down with pencil/paper and figure it out. I have all of my husband's tools and know how to work most of them, sort-of. I can't wait to get started! Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    it is a great start.. it needs a roof slanted so the water doesn't just sit on it.. and lift the nest boxes off the floor about 2' then it gives them more floor space.. since it is so tall maybe build a wall of cabinets above for storage..i would put them all the way up so the hens don't fly up there and roost or nest..it's a great deal.. glad you found it!! you might be able to find used cabinets at the place where they build habitat for humanity they love people to buy and reuse their things..and the prices are great.. probably windows there too..keep us posted.. l would love to see it when your done

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    huge potential!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by