My shipped eggs hatched! (Pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dexters Mom, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Dexters Mom

Dexters Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Three Rivers, MA
    I browsed ebay and stumbled across an auction for fertilized eggs.... It was an impulse buy!
    5 days later I received 12 pretty blue and peach colored eggs.
    I asked for half Ameraucana and half EEs.
    My guess was: Peach=EEs and Blue=Ameraucana
    I let them rest round side up for 24h. We had some detached air cells
    (they ended up hatching just fine)

[​IMG]
    I ended up making a DIY incubator.
    Here is my bunch 5 minutes after I set them :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I kept humidity at 25-30% for the first 18 days and then cranked it up to 65% at lockdown.
    We candled at 7/14/18 days. Sadly 2 of the peach colored eggs were not fertilized :(
    Still. 10 out of 12 seemed pretty good!

Late on day 20 we started to see some action!
    [​IMG]
    I did not sleep that night! Just in case I missed one hatching, I separated the eggs by color

[​IMG]

Now this little guy!!! Hatched out of a peach colored egg, but was different than the other chicks.

[​IMG]

It has feathered legs and 5 toes?!?!?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other chicks that hatched out of the peach eggs are black and brown with stripes, only 4 toes.
    Non of the chicks out of the blue eggs have 5 toes (one has a tuft of feathers on its legs)
    By the end of day 21, I was the proud mom of 8 pretty chicks. Non of them look alike!
    [​IMG]

Today is day 24. I have 2 eggs left in the incubator. I don't think they will make it :( but I will give them till the end of day 25.
    In all I am pretty happy with the result of my hatch and the mix of "I have no idea what you are chicks"!
    This was my first time hatching without a hen, in an incubator I built myself with eggs that got shipped across 4 states.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Only one lonely feather growing out of its leg :)
    [​IMG]

2. dharmasister

dharmasister Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    What an awesome experience for you!! I think that was a great success. Where did you get the instructions for your DIY incubator?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes! I want to know, too! I've heard so many horror stories with manufactured incubators, and yet most of the homemade DIY ones seem to work just fine...yes, please tell us!

4. Dexters Mom

Dexters Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Three Rivers, MA
    I watched all the YouTube videos I could find and then went with my gut and common sense.
    Considering airflow and stuff :) Set the whole thing up and started cutting holes in it to regulate the temperature.
    I plan to take a video when I take the last two eggs out tomorrow.
    After reading about shipped eggs and DIY Incubators and dry hatching, I did not expect to end up with 8 little chicks!
    Maybe 2 or 3!!!
    On another note. We just saw (took the chicks outside for some fresh air and grass) that the little black chick that hatched from one of the peach colored eggs has also a 5th toe.
    I am sure I only saw 4 after it hatched! Surprisingly its feet are not feathered at all....
    I wish I could see the flock they came from :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

That is an awesome hatch you have there. I have thought of this many times… but never seem brave enough to take the plunge. Perhaps it will be your post that prods me to try my hand at hatching some of my own birds. Thank you for the nice writeup and I loved the photographs as well. I am wondering with you, just what these little guys are, but I suppose time will tell soon enough.

Thanks for the nice post,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by