My shipped roo :( **He didn't make it**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Swissmiss989, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I recently had a roo shipped by the postoffice. When I received him they said he way crowing and carrying on. He has not made a sound since I got him home. He won't eat or drink. He also does not respond if I put my hand infront of his eyes. He also ONLY walks backwords. Did they injure him? He responds when I grab him. Thats about it tho. Is this head trama? What do I do? What can I do?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, so sorry to hear that! It does sound like he's had some head trama. Maybe someone was cruel during shipping and really tossed him around.....Or could he have gotten too hot?

I would give him some vitamins/electrolites with a dropper to get him hydrated......Then after that maybe you could offer him some yummy treats like a chopped, hard boiled egg yolk or some fresh fruit......

Good luck to you,
    Sharon

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Not sure. Sounds like something happened to him.
    Try getting some fluids in him or he will dehydrate. Hopefully some one can offer more input.

4. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    I have seen people care for blind and paralyzed chickens and they seen to have good lives. Had anyone tried it?

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I personally haven't tried it, but I do have a friend who's Polish hen had a stroke, and she very lovingly nursed her back to health. The hen couldn't even walk for at least a week.

6. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Do his pupils dilate when you shine a light in them? If so, he can likely see.

He very well could just be in shock after a rough shipping experience. How long have you had him home from the PO?

7. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Thats awesome [​IMG] im on my way to pick up baby bird food. We used it for my parrots. I think that would put meat on his bones pretty good. It just might have to be tube fed to him. Hes strong and knows when hes being touched and he reacts but this eye thing has me puzzled.

8. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:Thursday will be a week now. I tried the light but I can't tell because his eyes are so dark.

9. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Wow...a week. Sounds like it could be some sort of brain injury then. So sorry. I was hoping/thinking it was a couple hours. That doesnt mean he won't/cant get better or anything...it just means its a bit more serious than I thought upon your initial post.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  10. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm not sure if we have a poultry vet here. But if we do would it be worth trying to take him there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by