My shipping crate duck house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NoseyChickens, Jun 29, 2010.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    A while back DH brought this home from work~

[​IMG]

I was so excited I could hardly stand it!
    Finally this weekend we turned it into this for my 6 week old runners.~

[​IMG]

So my ducks finally have more room! They are so happy.

[​IMG]

We will be putting some sod down in the run this week and a shade structure (they have a tarp for shade now) using PVC and shade cloth. It will also have a drop down door that will double as a ramp. They have so much more room now. I am so excited. DH worked 3 weeks straight no day off and on his first day off worked is hiney off in the heat to help me with this. He is amazing!

Does it seem roomy enough for them? I am going to downsize a bit. Just not sure which ones I will be keeping yet because they are still so young.

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Great! We just got some shipping boxes that are going to be put to good use as well. We got 5 of them and if we had the room we would have gotten more!

There's enough room there for them especially because they won't spend alot of time inside. They're adorable, too!! I love my Runners!

Laurie

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    That looks really nice.

4. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    These are our first ducks. I keep thinking 11 ducks is alot. But Holderreads had a minimum order of 10 and they sent 11. But everyday I spend time with them and I really don't want to rehome any of them! They make me laugh everyday!

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Where do you guys get the shipping crates?

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    everyday I spend time with them and I really don't want to rehome any of them! They make me laugh everyday!

Bwaa haa haa!

Welcome to the Duck Side​

7. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    That looks great! My husband really wants runner ducks. Seeing yours made me burst out laughing--they are so cute! Runner ducks are in our future...[​IMG]

8. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:DH is military when they are done with them they send them to the dump where they put them through the chipper. He saved this one and three smaller ones that come apart like a puzzle (so they will be super easy to clean and very portable) from going to the dump. He also saved some GIANT cages from being trashed too. Before we had the chickens he would have never thought to save stuff like that. But now he calls me and says they are trashing such and such, and should he save it for a coop. It cracks me up!

My next project is to convert the other boxes into small breeding coops. I just need to save for the fencing for the runs. This duck house only cost me around $75 to make.

Here is one of the cages he saved!
    [​IMG]
    The front flips up and latches and the top flips up. The whole thing folds down flat. I can fit all my kids in one cage! ( I know because I made them get in one to take a picture once!) I have 11. I put some up for sale here and Craigslist but never have sold any.

9. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Your ducks have HAPPY looks on their faces! LOL!

10. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    NoseyChickens-i wish I could fine some crates like that. I wish I lived closer to you!!! Darn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by