1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY SICK CHICK ! ;{

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madnative, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Madnative

Madnative New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    OK I have a chick shes 2 years old some sort of Rhode Island red cross. { We got her from the Big R in Conifer , no one knew what she was ) But I love her all the same.!
    She suddenly became withdrawn, lethargic developed a dark or purple crop.. Shes not egg bound, I x rayed her . No evidence of that . My current vet is only cats and dogs. No chicken experience .. She was put on tylan powder in her water. which i have to force feed her.. She is getting worse she will only eat porkchops ! Please help I am at a loss! Shes limp wont get on her roost. I have her isolated from the other ladies which all seem fine. I am at a loss!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. How do you see her purple crop? Is her comb purple or red? What does her poop look like?

3. ellenscoop

ellenscoop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    You really should check out this new website I found has a symptom checker for chickens -- www.poultryDVM.com. It helped me with a dozen or more of my flock over the past month alone. I hope you chicken makes it out ok :/

4. ellenscoop

ellenscoop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    You really should check out this new site I found it has a symptom checker for chickens -- www.poultryDVM.com. It is pretty cool and has helped me out with a dozen or more of my flock this past month alone.

5. Madnative

Madnative New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    sorry yes purple comb watery poo green and white..

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My first thought would be cardiac failure. Is she a 2 year old hen, not a chick?

7. Madnative

Madnative New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    Yes shes a 2 year old . My honey gave me a dozen chicks 2 years ago for my birthday.I do think it was heart failure .She passed this morning. Is heart failure common in chickens?

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. I know I've had one and possibly another one just this morning! I'm sending that one in for a necropsy. We know so little about chickens because in the past no one kept them that long.

9. Madnative

Madnative New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    Well thanks for your reply..Im new to chickens .. I do my best they are spoiled rotton !
    Staci Q

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by