My Sick Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RosemaryC, Mar 1, 2015.

1. RosemaryC

RosemaryC New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Hi I have a small flock of 4 chicken, used to be 6, one got taken and the other just dropped dead! I now have a sick chook and didn't realise her fluffing of feathers was a sign. She has been sick for over a week, I think its Coccidiosis, is it too late to treat. Location is Melbourne, Australia, season is Autumn, weather is variable but days are mostly warm at least 20 Celsius to 28. Any help appreciated.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Go ahead and treat them all with Corid, it's usually only too late when they're dead. You may still lose the sickest one but should be able to save the rest. Here is a long thread on the subject and I think it's post #10 that has the dosing chart.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/877344/oh-no-coccidiosis Welcome to out flock, wishing your girls a speedy recovery! [​IMG]

Corid=amprolium

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  4. RosemaryC

RosemaryC New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Thank you. My Hen has passed to greener fields. UNfortunately I was busy taking a human friend to hospital. I will treat rest of flock asap try to get some amprollium locally tomorrow. All other hens lokk 100% healthy so hopefully they will be ok.
    Thanks again Rose

5. RosemaryC

RosemaryC New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks see previous reply as my hen is gone and will follow your advice -thanks Rose[​IMG]

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Aww, I 'm sorry about your girl [​IMG] hopefully, you've gotten to the rest in time. Fingers crossed for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by