My sick chicken. This stuff came out of his eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debilorrah, Apr 26, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG]

Help?

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    So sorry, Deb! How about a picture of the eye?

3. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

His eyes are glued shut. Swollen too, no smell.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Looks like an infection of some sort...
    If you haven't already, take a soft warm wet towel and clean his eyes - get them open to see if the eye is ok. Keep it clean, trim any feathers away so they don't compound the problem. I don't know enough about eye problems to know what generic stuff works (other than saline solutions), but they do make antibiotic gels for the eyes. You just put a small amount in the eyelid and gently rub it to spread it.
    Make sure you keep your hands clean... [​IMG]

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    That is solidified infection. You have to keep the eye free of it. If the eye stays glued shut with that in it, it will lead to blindness. This can be from an upper respiratory infection. Daily injections of Tylan 50 in a muscle or a daily capsule of Amoxicillin(sold as Fish-Mox) for 5-7 days.

Matt

7. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    I used bacitracin ointment when my chicky had yucky stuff in his eyes. I just cleaned around the eye so it could open and close then put the ointment around as close to the eye as i could get without getting in it....Poor chicky [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  8. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I sure hope it isn't anything serious. I found these.

http://www.raising-chickens.org/poultry-ailments.html
    Check chronic cholera or Infectious Coryza?????

Cholera (chronic):
    Incidence: common poultry ailment worldwide, but less common than acute.
    System/organ affected: primarily respiratory
    Symptoms: in birds at least 6-weeks old: cheesy nasal discharge, loss of appetite, rapid weight loss, increased thirst, lameness and swelling of leg joints, wing joints, foot pads, wattles, and sinuses; swollen sticky eyes, sometimes breathing difficulties. In hens: loss of egg production. In cocks: loss of aggression and desire to crow.
    Cause: bacteria.
    Transmission: contagious; much like acute.
    Prevention: Vaccination is not effective. You must not introduce possibly infected birds into flock and use good sanitation and management practices.
    Treatment: none effective. Isolate and dispose of infected flock.

Infectious Coryza
    Incidence: common chicken ailment worldwide, especially in fall and winter in tropical and temperate environments.
    System/organ affected: respiratory
    Symptoms: in chicks: nasal discharge, facial swelling, one or both eyes closed, death. In growing birds: watery eyes, eyelids stuck together, reddish bad smelling discharge from nose, drop in feed consumption.
    Cause: bacteria: it does not survive long in environment and is easily destroyed with disinfectants.
    Transmission: contagious; contact with infected birds and their nasal discharge.
    Prevention: avoid mixing birds from different flocks. Remove the infected birds and disinfect and leave the housing vacant for at least three weeks. Vaccinate only if the disease is positively identified.
    Treatment: different drugs. Culling is preferred since survivors may be carriers.

9. mccabe

mccabe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Aloha. I am assuming you live in a tropical setting as that is eyeworm. I live on a half acre and my chickens free range during the day. It is impossible to prevent the occasional eyeworm. But I have a treatment I developed that is successful. Over the last four years I have lost no birds, and only one hen lost sight in one eye. Meanwhile, the wild island chickens succumb to it.
    First, I take a quick look at my flock every morning. Eyeworm is identified early by a discharge or a bit of white in the inner or outer corner. The eye swells and the chicken scratches at it. Quickly separate the sick bird and gently stick your finger in the indention at each eye corner. Gently, very gently, apply pressure toward the eyeball. Often, worms will spill out. Carefully wipe them away. Put one or two drops of bio-active hydrosol, (silver) an inexpensive, natural antibiotic available in health food stores, into both eyes. Yes, both. Then give her a dropperful to swallow. The taste is not bad and she will sip it from the dropper. If she is listless, pry her beak open just a bit and squeeze in the liquid. Then go back to gently massaging and pushing in around the eye, pushing toward the eyeball. You are trying to dislodge that sac in your photo. If it does not float into view, leave the eye until the evening. I finish by coating the entire eye area (and beyond if there are cuts or bumps) with aloe vera. Now, it grows in great quantity here. I peel all the rough edges and wipe her face with the inner gel. Again, this is not painful. I have tasted and used both of these natural medicines. If you do not grow aloe, it can be purchased. In the evening, repeat all of the above, but work diligently to remove that larvae sac. It should be dying by then, will not adhere, and it will slide from some deep recess and over her eye, like a big white contac lens. Work the eyelids, press and gently squeeze until it pops out. I put the chicken back in with the general population at this time but continue the treatments for 2 or 3 days. The eye should be clear, the hen should be perky, and any self-inflicted wounds dry and healed before you cease the regimen. If you find her as late as you have, there is a lot of damage. She will probably be blind in that eye, but if you start right away you can save her life. If she loses sight the eye will turn opaque. My one hen has no trouble navigating with one eye, but her lack of depth perception and sight made her a less than stellar mother. If this one loses her eye I would hesitate to let her hatch a brood. I hope this helps. I was seeking more information on the origin of this disease and ran across this site. Best of luck.

Help?​

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    She's in California...
    just curious, what about it makes you assume it's eyeworm?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by