my sick girl and labored breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waysidedesign, Jul 4, 2011.

1. waysidedesign

waysidedesign Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Well, my Barred Rock seems worse. Now she is really having trouble breathing and her beak is open. She is secluded from all of the other girls and on antibiotics and electrolytes, but doesn't seem to be drinking much. What's REALLY freaking me out too is this weird thing that she does with her head and neck. She twirls it around and her head is like it's stuffed down into her body....like it hurts her to stretch it out. She looks up instead of straight ahead with her mouth open. Anyone seen this behavior before? I feel like she's dying and it's so hard to watch. Also don't want my other girls to catch anything. I gave them all electrolytes and cleaned the coop out extra good 2 days ago before I secluded the sick one. Help. [​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    If antibiotic are not working she night have GAPEWORM.....worms that effect the lungs and airway...... Is it noisy breathing, and drainage (smelly or not smelly), swollen face, eyes or nose plugged....
    Might want to treat for Gapworms

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. waysidedesign

waysidedesign Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Thanks but she died this am....I'm so sad. Have all of my other girls on antibiotics just in case.

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I am so sorry to hear that...if you have not wormed them you might want to do that too.....

Best Wishes,
    Laura

5. JimmyTX

JimmyTX Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Had similar issues with one of my gals, gapeworm. Do some searching and de-worm the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by