My sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the Fowler, Aug 28, 2014.

1. the Fowler

the Fowler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    My hen is listless and her crop feels tight and very firm and full, like there is too much in there. She ate with the flock this morning and has been out free-ranging all day. I was gone a good portion of the day so didn't get the chance to see how she was acting throughout the day. But tonight I find her like this. I am familiar with sour crop and this is much different. Can anyone help me figure this out?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A full crop near bedtime is fairly normal. I would check it in the morning at daylight to see if it is full and hard, or if it has emptied. If not she could have an impacted crop. Impacted crops need to be treated with water to flush out the crop (not oil which may gunk things up.) Give no whole grains with impacted crop. Here is a good link:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

3. the Fowler

the Fowler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    Looks like it's an impacted crop. Thanks for helping me out! Now I know what to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by