1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krbowman56, Feb 8, 2015.

1. krbowman56

krbowman56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    i have a sick hen. She will not eat or come out of the coop. Looks like she is going through a bad molt. I have put her in a seperate pen for my other hens. What can I do?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Check her for lice and mites, those can make her feathers ragged or she might pull them out. Make sure she is drinking, dropper feed her water/electrolytes if you have to. Look at her poop, is it normal? Post again, let us know what you find.[​IMG]

3. krbowman56

krbowman56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    I don't see mites or lice. She hides her head. I pick her up and she is skin and bones.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    That's different, and worse. Check her crop. If she is not eating it should be flat/empty. If it is full and squishy she may have sour crop. If it's full and hard she may have impacted crop. Post again when you check that.there are other possibilities too but lets check one at a time.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by