My sick Mable

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leslud, Jan 10, 2015.

1. leslud

leslud New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    We have a hen we don't know her age shes a lafeverlle I know I spelled that wrong but hopefully someone will know her breed. Anyway she is usually very vocal and always wants out of the coop first, but this week its been very cold we live in upstate new York and she isn't coming out of the coop and not vocal at all. since the water is outside in the run im concerned that shes not drinking wateror eating and shes making a funny unusual sound. im very worried about her and her having a viral infection. Does anyone have any ideas what could be?

2. Boom Boom Chick

Boom Boom Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Hang in there. I'm in Virginia and we have had some very cold nights here this week as well. A couple of things I have learned over the past couple of years is that you need at all times except in the summer put your waterer and your feed inside the couple. Tractor supply online has a heated plastic water container you can hook up to an electric cord to keep the water warm and drinkable. Two, your chicken(s) need to eat and drink all day to stay warm. You can give them cracked corn, plain cooked oatmeal, dry cat food blended up dry to make it smaller for protein to keep them warm. Three, you can provide a 40 watt incandescent light bulb for heat. Periodically, check and dust it off to prevent fire. Most chickens can tolerate the cold but I never take a chance. I always use a light when the temperature drops around 30 degrees. I hope this helps you and every day check your girls to make sure they are staying warm and safe. Also plain of food and water. One more tip can help if they do go out. A very thin layer of Vaseline jelly just enough on their comb to prevent frostbite. But it should only be a thin layer of what you would put on your lips. Good Luck.

3. leslud

leslud New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    Thank you we received wonderful advice from tractor supply she is doing much better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by