My sick Quail

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jetaimequail, Feb 22, 2014.

1. jetaimequail

jetaimequail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    cold Chi town
    Hi ya'll!!
    So I have two cute quails and one of them is quite sick. She breathes heavily and her nose seems to be blocked. She always has her head tilted to the side like gasping for air and she makes noises, like if she were sneezing. I took her to the vet, which they gave her oral antibiotics plus eyedrops. I try to dap some vetrx on her nose to help her with her breathing. This morning her eyes are droopy and watery. I also notice her butt had alittle bit of blood. I don't know what else to do she's breaking my heart seeing her suffer. I've always had quails and this is the first time one is really sick. I don't if this will pass or she will. I'm trying my best to feed her but she's drinks more water instead. Your thoughts?? :-(

2. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. jetaimequail

Feb 22, 2014
    cold Chi town
    Thank you!! I don't know the name of the antibotics but it's in liquid form and I have to give it to her. Her bleeding is coming from her butt not on her poop, I did separate the birds and also added some heat so she can stay warmed. It's been over a week and haven't seen any improvements yet.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you aren't seeing any improvements in one week, then the meds aren't working. I would either take her back to the vet or find another that will examine her. If she has a runny nose, wheezing and coughing, if you can get some Oxytetracycline, (you can get this on line at poultry suppliers) you might want to get her on this stuff. The Oxy will take care of most respiratory ailments.

If she is bleeding from her butt, look at her vent. Is it protruding out?? Is she straining to lay an egg??

5. jetaimequail

Feb 22, 2014
    cold Chi town
    I did look at her vent, looks normal to me. She started picking on her back and I notice the blood on her beak, than I look at her vent and saw some blood there. It only has happened once I'll keep checking on her to make sure she fine. Thank you so much for suggesting a different kind of antibotics, I'll look into that right away.

6. jetaimequail

Feb 22, 2014
    cold Chi town
    One more question, is Oxytetracycline only available in form of injection? And if so, where would I inject her?

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    No, you can get it in powder form to be put in the water. Oxy will generally take effect in 3 or 4 days. Oxytetracycline works very well on respiratory ailments. You would dose her for 10 to 14 days, changing the water daily and make a fresh batch.

Good luck with your quail. I keep Bobwhites myself. I know how hard it is when they are sick. I hope she heals soon. [​IMG]

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  9. jetaimequail

Feb 22, 2014
    cold Chi town
    Thanks a bunch!!! Hopefully she will feel better..keep you posted. :)

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Also, sick quail can refuse to eat their gamebird food when sick. So I find that it is better to feed them what ever they WILL eat. Things like hard boiled eggs, warm grits or oatmeal, meal worms, just anything to keep them eating. They are small and can parish fast if they don't eat enough. I kept a sick Bob hen with West Nile Virus alive until she was cured, (8 months) on hard boiled eggs, peas in the pod and quartered peaches. Anything to keep them eating and alive while they are healing. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by