1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Silent Rooster (Well I think he's a he)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mac Momma, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Mac Momma

Mac Momma Crabgrass Queen

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    Now that I am reading everyone talkin about 5 week olds trying to crow, I thinking I may be just stupid and have a hen with really big comb and waddles. But, here is his (or her) mug with a bit of yogurt on it for good measure.

[​IMG]

ONe of the "girls" beside him.

[​IMG]

They are about 5 to 6 months.

That has to be a roo! Right?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes, it is very much a roo!

Not all roosters start to crow at 5 weeks. I don't think that is the norm. My roosters, all 3 of them, didn't start crowing until they were just after 4 months old. And even then the crowing was few and far between. It also didn't sound very much like crowing. I thought is sounded like the rooster was in pain. It was quite funny actually!

3. Mac Momma

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    You made me laugh.....cause I can just imagine!

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    We laughed at them a lot at first. We would just sit out in the evening to watch them attempt to crow. I am sure we looked like dorks sitting around our chicken run waiting for our roosters to crow and then cracking up!
    [​IMG]

5. Mac Momma

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    My whole family has started just hanging out in the yard in the evenings with chickens. I think that qualifies us for a few bricks short of a full load to some folks. But I a SO TOTALLY okay with that. Normalcy is so overrated!

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    wow..you mean it is not normal to site outside and watch your chickens? oh my!!!! I have done that ever since they have been outside! [​IMG]

My Great Aunt and her grandson do that with his chickens too. [​IMG]

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Our Jap has a half crow and our dutch has a good full one, both are 3 1/2 mo.s...All I have to do is turn away from them and crow real little and that gets the dutch going which in turn gets the jap going as well...Then they carry on back and forth for a few minutes...Then I do it again and they start right back up. It's hillarious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by