My Silkie adventures begin!

Mariella posey

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
As some of you will know I have a little silkie Pullet that I thought was a rooster for the last 9 months! But she started laying eggs a few days ago, and thanks to the help of a few of you I knew ahead of time. Her name is Simysweet Chocolate Chip, We just call her Chip, and I knew she was going to need a few friends so today my mother drove me 2 hours to get a few Silkies.
I was only wanting a quad (1 rooster and 3 hens) but I couldn't find any that I could afford. So I decided getting chicks would be better, I found a guy with 6-10 week old chicks that he would sell 20 for $25 my mother wanted more than what I wanted so we decided to get the 20.
After a bit of a miscommunication and an hour waiting around (2 hours from home), we paid $45 and brought home 22 12-15-week olds and 6 6-week olds! Still a good deal!
I feel like they are bigger than Chip? I will post pictures tomorrow as long as it doesn't rain. They are all white and have 5 toes with black skin some have the head puff and some don't.

I looked everyone over today and they are all healthy! But they are a really poor quality silkie, little to no feathers on their feet, single combs, and a few hard feathers. But they are healthy and tame and still soft and fluffy so I don't mind.
I put one of the 15-week olds next too Chip and the 15-week old was a bit bigger!
Pictures! The pen they are in is only a temporary pen and I will have a run on it when the rain lets up.

Attachments

• 20201211_082915.jpg
    20201211_082915.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20201211_083028.jpg
    20201211_083028.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20201211_082318.jpg
    20201211_082318.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201211_082659.jpg
    20201211_082659.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 3
As some of you will know I have a little silkie Pullet that I thought was a rooster for the last 9 months! But she started laying eggs a few days ago, and thanks to the help of a few of you I knew ahead of time. Her name is Simysweet Chocolate Chip, We just call her Chip, and I knew she was going to need a few friends so today my mother drove me 2 hours to get a few Silkies.
I was only wanting a quad (1 rooster and 3 hens) but I couldn't find any that I could afford. So I decided getting chicks would be better, I found a guy with 6-10 week old chicks that he would sell 20 for $25 my mother wanted more than what I wanted so we decided to get the 20.
After a bit of a miscommunication and an hour waiting around (2 hours from home), we paid $45 and brought home 22 12-15-week olds and 6 6-week olds! Still a good deal!
I feel like they are bigger than Chip? I will post pictures tomorrow as long as it doesn't rain. They are all white and have 5 toes with black skin some have the head puff and some don't.
Wow, that’s a lot of Silkies! How are you going to tell them all apart? You might consider getting colored elastic bands and band them differently, you can get some that are different sizes. Just an idea!😊
Congratulations on your new adventure it’s going to be exciting. Look forward to seeing photos of them when you get a chance.🥰

Yeah it's better to get more. Too less hens in comparison with a rooster leads to over mating. Especially with silkies

What is a good hen to rooster ratio? We will be trying to sell the extra roosters from what we bought and buying new blood. For what we understand this guy's two roosters are full Brothers, and all of these chicks are from those two roosters and his group of hens and a few of the hens are sisters to the roosters. So I'm hesitant to breed brother to sister when they are already line bred a bit.

Back
Top Bottom