My Silkie Babies - pic heavy & NEW** a silky question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arlee453, Nov 14, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Just some cute chick shots - I suppose now that they are hatched and no longer in the incubator, their thread belongs in the 'raising baby chicks' category! Check out my new avatar too!

Here's a pic of their new brooder:
    [​IMG]

The bunch all hanging out:
    [​IMG]

Hey, who put this camera thingy in here??
    [​IMG]

Just cuteness:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    They are just too adorable!

3. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I love them !! how did you make the brooder i really like it very nice

congrats on the babies they are so cute

Julie

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    very nice

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Ohhhh the little flufferbutts. So cute when they are little.
    Then they grow up and get mean and vicious. Keep them
    away from small children and dogs. Silkies hunt in packs so
    be careful.

Nice brooder idea. I like that. I wish I saw it before I spent another
    $40 on a guinea pig cage thats not as easy to clean and move.

6. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The brooder was a snap to make. I wanted something that was reasonably dog proof since I planned on brooding these in the house with the weather so cool. I figured the container would be sturdy enough to at least deter the dogs. The chicks are out here in my office area where I sit all day, so they aren't left unattended when the dogs are loose in the house. I also wanted something that would be easy to clean, but also would contain the pine chips since these guys are in the house and I didn't want chips kicked out all over. My other brooder pen worked great, but was messy. Mess (and heat) wasn't an issue with that one because they were brooded out in the kennel when it was 90 degrees outside.

I bought the largest rubbermaid container they had a Lowes - it was about $17.

I took a really sharp utility knife and cut the holes out of the side and top. That was the most difficult part by far - those rubber maid containers are TOUGH! The lid will serve two purposes - to keep the dogs OUT and the chicks IN when they start to figure out what their wings are for.

I bought 1/2" long bolts, nuts and the appropriate sized fender washers. The bolts came in a pack of 10 with the nuts included. 10 for $1.87. The fender washers were around $7 for 20.

The wire is hardware cloth. I just cut to size and drilled holes around the edges of the cutouts through the container to fit the bolts. The washers have to be larger than the grid of the hardware cloth.

So, total cost was less than $30. If you already have the container hanging around, it would be even less than that.

The size of the container is 3.5 by 2 feet approx.

I figure it will be large enough for at least the first few weeks for these 10 silkies. Only issue so far was that my brooder light was WAY too powerful. Even suspended about 8" from the top of the container, the 250 wt red heat lamp was hot enough to melt the lid a little bit.

I've since replaced it with a regular 100wt bulb, which is perfect temp for the furry babies, but not hot enough to melt my container.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  7. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well i guess i have a few projects to work on my list keeps getting longer and longer...

1- make bator
    2-figure out how to use bator LOL
    3-make new broodier
    4-plan next chicken yard/coop

man DH is going to kill me LOL

Julie

8. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Ha - at least you have the list in the right order....

You know, 3 weeks to build the brooder while the eggs are in the bator...

5 weeks at least to build the coop and run while the babies are in the brooder...

You've got PLENTY of time, right??

(enabling...enabiling...morechicken...youneedmorechickens...MOREchickens.....MOREMOREchickens....)

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are so cute. It's either that the chicks are tiny or the shavings are huge. [​IMG]

10. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Well, it's both - these are the smallest chicks I've seen (having standard sized before now) and the largest shavings i've seen also in the new pack from TSC...

At least the shavings are too big for them to munch on. And they have already found the food and water for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by