My silkie cant see to eat or drink, and i just found out!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morgan's_Silkie_Parade, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Morgan's_Silkie_Parade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Hello, this isnt really an emergency, but then again maybe it is....
    i found one of my new lil silkies walking dizzy like and falling over and acting weird.
    then when i fed em, she kinda followed the rest but didnt really know what to be doing (they were eating)
    She finally picked up on the eating thing and ate a lil bit.
    so i brought her in and sat her infront of some food, and water. and played with the food, and suddenly she ate like she has never seen food before. Talking to me and everything while eating it.

she hasnt drank anything yet. im still hoping she will dont know how to get her too. Can i give her gatorade or powerade? it has vitamins.

Also is there anyway i can fix her crest up.... i wanna show her so i dont really want to trim it or pluck it.... i read something in another forum about a silkie ponytail? but couldnt see pics....
    is there anything i can do AND save her crest?

i also set a lil bit of cat food out for her for the extra protein and fat, hoping that would help.
    Please help me, ive never had a problem with a crest like this! im at a lose.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A little gatorade for a few days will be fine.

If I had one I would trim the crest. Otherwise, a ponytail is the only thing I know of.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    you can use painter's tape (thin piece) to wrap around and hold up her crest but if you aren't going to be showing her, it would be more feasible and kind to trim the feathers from around her eyes. Hold her up to eye level and use a pair of baby scissors (rounded tips) to trip all the feathers around her eyes until you can see her eyes well. If you can see her eyes, she can see too.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    bobby pins... I would not use the little elastics because if they came out or broke she may eat them

5. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Ok thanks everyone, ill give the tape and bobbypins a shot and see which she likes best. i would like to show her, i think i just need to keep her crest up long enough for her to get used to where everything is.
    then she can go off of memory right?

6. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I would use hair clipeys... how long do you want to show her (no idea im not a shower just a pet person) After her showing life is done i would trim her up good so the baby can see... I would sacrifice showing so she could see... Just think of a like walking around with your eyes closed and following the smell of food and water...

-Best wishes

7. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    idk how long, she is only a pullet. she SHOULD be able to see cause i can see some of her eyes, and her crest isnt NEARLY as large as some of the ones i have. but she still doesnt act normal.
    she may be Blind? im not sure how to tell tho. Or she may just like acting different. she roosts ON the food and water dishes, so she knows they are there. and she Dips her face and crest INTO the water, so i dont know what to make of her yet.
    i may show her. i may just trim her up... i dont really know yet. but i would really like to show her, she is a pretty lil splash...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by