My Silkie Chest Pumps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildCochinReba, Jun 14, 2016.

1. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    My one month silkie tries to chest pump with my three month pullet Cochin. Is that a sign she might be a he?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Is your silky trying to preform CPR on your Cochin or is he challenging it to a duel?

3. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    lol at the CPR thing. I don't about the duel part but I think so because he/she does stretches it's neck high and makes eye contact afterwards.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Perfectly normal establishment of pecking order. Ive had BOTH females And males chest bump, fly at one another, and stand tall and flap their wings at one another. This is NOT a indication of the birds sex in my experience. One thing ive noticed with young Males is they tend to be protective of the flock even at a young age. A example ive noticed a few times with males is if one of their female flock mates are picked up by me the male tends to get agitated. Ive had the males chase me and a few have actually pecked me for picking up their flock mates. Behavior like that tends to be more of a signal you have a male.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    You are welcome to think anything about this behavior that you wish but as for myself I put it down to Chicken Jealousy.

I've posted this before and one more time will not hurt, man (or woman for that matter) aggressive roosters are made and not hatched.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by