My silkie chick died, why?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ylreveB, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ylreveB

ylreveB New Egg

Jul 19, 2012
    I got a silkie chick from the feed store today and it died, 8 hours later.. the temperature was 95 to 97 degrees in the hot spot. has pine wood shaving, and news paper under. Did i do something wrong? i have 4 more chicks, i dont want to find them dead. please help.

2. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

was it able to get out of that heat or is the whole brooder that temp if unable to cool off that may of been the prob and then some times chicks just dont make it. sorry for your loss and good luck with the other 3

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I honestly don't believe that all day-old chicks should be kept that hot (95ish in the hot area) after my experience the last couple of days. I think mine would be dead by now also, had I not lowered the heat by a pretty extreme amount.

My chicks are proof that not all chicks (even if they are the same breed as someone else's and the same age) need the same temperatures. I think it depends on where the chicks came from. What environment were they hatched into? What temperature was that environment kept at? I'm almost positive that's why ours did so badly in 90-95 degree hot spot. The hottest part of the brooder right now is 83.5 and they love it and are thriving...very active little things now that they're comfortable. Don't do what I did (it may end up making your chicks sick and cold!) - go by your gut. If you feel something is wrong with them, go with it and try to match their symptoms with others on this forum.

In regard to the pine bedding - that's what we have in there and they do fine with it. I'm assuming you have fresh water in the brooder along with a bit of chick starter?

I pray your other chickies are healthy and your silkie's passing was a random unfortunate event. So sorry.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by