My Silkie chicks hate me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mike001, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mike001

mike001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi all, I've previously raised 11 chickens of various types (no bantams) and they all love me. I bought their love with dried worm treats and now whenever I come around they huddle around me, walk on my shoes, jump on my lap and seem to enjoy my company. I can pick them up and most of the time they don't protest and seem to like it when I scratch their heads.

I am now raising 4 silkie chicks, they are about 2 weeks old. They hate me. They run in terror whenever I try to pick them up. They don't like worms, they don't like yogurt, they don't like anything. Most of all, they don't like me. These things are supposed to make "good pets." What am I doing wrong?

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    You just need to give them time. Chicks are sometimes skittish. They will learn that you are good. Just spend a little more time with them.

3. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine run from me too but after i catch them and pet them and do a clicking sound they settle down i even went to put little bit back in cage and she layed down in my hand and went to sleep i stood there at teh cage with this little chick sound asleep in the palm of my hand holding her under the heat light give it time it will happen

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    It does take time, I also have a silkie and at first she was afraid but now she will stand there and wait for you to pick her up.

5. InsaneChicken

InsaneChicken Out Of The Brooder

I had 5 silkie chicks myself last year... at first they were all "AH PECK HER HANDS! JUMP! FLAP YOUR WINGS!" but after they got older, my hens don't mind me picking them up. The roosters on the other hand... Those things are a big ol pain in the butt! [​IMG]

6. mammasilkie

mammasilkie Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    Maryland
    tell me about it! i have seven of them! haha

7. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I just let my silkie run around the house she is a yr old now she runs around here with the cats like she is one of them but she is very independent she will only come to us when she feels like it but when we want to snuggle with her she is very standoffish. I thought it was just her personality like cats lol

1 person likes this.
  8. mammasilkie

May 11, 2012
    Maryland
    i have 13 silkies and they are all love bugs! just hold them a lot and youll be fine, banties are known for being very flighty if now worked with! good luck!

9. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    This is Waka and Bootsy the cat ( Partners in Crime ) they do everything together.

[​IMG]

10. mammasilkie

May 11, 2012
    Maryland
    how does she not make a mess of your house?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by