Mar 17, 2018
My silkie chicken has a very bad sinus infection. and we didn't notice till we picked her up and saw that both of her eyes were swollen and white stuff coming out with a nasty smell. The pus was in both eyes. The right eye was worse than the left and she hasn't ate or drank we've had to force feed her. I don't know if its too late or not I don't want her to die. Me and my friend pushed the pus out of her eyes and her eyes look horrible ones black (her left eye) and one was red and couldn't see her pupil) and her sinus cavity is swollen how would we get the infection out of her sinus cavity?

It sounds like possible coryza with the odor and thick eye drainage and swollen eyes. It is good to squeeze out and clean out the gunk in her eyes with QTips and cotton. Rinse her eyes with saline, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment to her eyes twice a day. Help her eat and drink since she cannot see. Wet chicken feed plus some egg woultd be good, plus plenty of water.
I would also get some Tylan 50 injectable, but give it orally, 1/2 ml twice a day for 5 days. Both medicines are available at feed stores in the cattle medicines, or ask for them. Good luck.

It sounds like possible coryza with the odor and thick eye drainage and swollen eyes. It is good to squeeze out and clean out the gunk in her eyes with QTips and cotton. Rinse her eyes with saline, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment to her eyes twice a day. Help her eat and drink since she cannot see. Wet chicken feed plus some egg woultd be good, plus plenty of water.
I would also get some Tylan 50 injectable, but give it orally, 1/2 ml twice a day for 5 days. Both medicines are available at feed stores in the cattle medicines, or ask for them. Good luck.
Thank you

Give us an update later, and good luck in helping her. Respiratory diseases can come back on them whenever there is severe stress, such as during extreme cold weather or a molt. She will be a carrier for life. If she has been with your other chickens, and they have not gotten sick, then they may be immune to it. But if you hatch or bring in other chickens, they can catch it.

Back
Top Bottom