My Silkie Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BamaSilkies, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    This fall I have started my Silkie coop. I ran out of money so some of it has to wait until spring to finish and I have decided to do a little changing around. I just thought I would post what I have and the new ideas that I will be working on this summer. I purchased a 10x12 metal building from Lowes. I got it really cheap because the box was damaged but there was no damage or missing parts to building. I then added a 10x12 run to that. I plan to expand the run if chicken math takes over. I will post pics of what I have and would like some input or see something that might need to be changed. The future plans that I have for spring are to add 2 vents to the front and back of the building. I also plan to add clear plastic roofing to the run and finish the lattice and add some nice beds around for some predator proofing like cactus and roses maybe. The screened door I built for the front will be changed to 2 doors with screen and plastic roofing sheets(for winter)and placed on the slides that the metal doors are on now. So tell me what you think. :>

This the pic of the run so far.

[​IMG]

This is pic of the screened door.

[​IMG]

2. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    [​IMG]

3. Garrisonkidsduo2

Garrisonkidsduo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    I just got some hatching eggs that are silkies. What should the inside of the coop look like. I think I got 12 eggs shipped to me and I know for sure that 5 are fertile because they are developing. I have never had silkies before and only seen one in person and it was a pet. Do they roost? All they have is fluff well that is what it looked like was fluff.

4. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Some do and some dont. I have a ladder type roost with 1x4 steps inside. I only have one that roosts on it the rest will get in the nest boxes or on a playpen that I have. I also use a heatlamp in the winter because they cant trap air under feathers to stay warm. It keeps it just above freezing in there and have new babies with their mothers in there and havent had any problems. I also use pine shavings inside the coop. I close the pop door when it is raining and really cold. I wouldnt over heat though. I have one 200 watt heat lamp in a 10x12 hen house. I will try to post pics later of the inside.

5. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    you used the same building as mine to make a coop how do you keep them dry when they are outside after it has rained

6. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I dont let them out when its raining right now but this spring I will be adding the clear plastic roofing panels on the run roof to keep them dry.

7. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Quote:I have read that some people use sand in the runs. My run is on a slant so the rain drains well. I have other coops (not Silkies) they are a different story. I use pine straw in those. I thought about hay but it molds really easy so I decided against that. Im sure others could give you some options.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by