My silkie did the squat!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by powersurbanfarm, Nov 9, 2012.

1. powersurbanfarm

powersurbanfarm Chirping

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    SO excited! My 16 week old silkie is squatting for me![​IMG] When I reach out to pet her she drops as low to the ground as she can get! Her wings aren't out though. Does this mean she will lay soon?[​IMG]

2. I have two different types of Silkies. One is not a good quality gal that came from the equivalent of Tractor Supply Company. She is a hatchery Silkie and started laying for me at 6 months. She lays very reliably too. My other are Splash Silkies from a breeder with show parents. They are 9 months old, have been squatting for me for about 2 months now, and still no eggs. The type of Silkie matters, so it depends on which type you have. I have also heard that Buff Silkies lay even later than the rest.[​IMG]

3. powersurbanfarm

powersurbanfarm Chirping

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    She is a bearded silkie that I got from the local feed store (so hatchery, not very good quality), with really bad feet feathering. In fact, her body feathering just became fluffy and decent looking. I really only got her for the cuteness, but the eggs will be a good gift too!

4. I'd say you're good to go then. Probably any time now (at least within a month or so). I'm happy for you!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    I Posted a picture of my silkie, got her a day ago, people say its about 6 months and that it is a cockerel....today i petted her on the back and it seemed like she squatted for me, tried a few times and did it every time..can a cockerel squat????

6. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    here is a pic

Attached Files:

7. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    IT also makes this gurgley noise all the time....almost like she has a fur ball to cough up

8. XscoreX

XscoreX Chirping

Apr 22, 2018
    Mine took about 10 months to lay. But they were fall chicks so they started laying the next spring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: