My silkie did the squat!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by powersurbanfarm, Nov 9, 2012.

1. powersurbanfarm

powersurbanfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    SO excited! My 16 week old silkie is squatting for me![​IMG] When I reach out to pet her she drops as low to the ground as she can get! Her wings aren't out though. Does this mean she will lay soon?[​IMG]

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two different types of Silkies. One is not a good quality gal that came from the equivalent of Tractor Supply Company. She is a hatchery Silkie and started laying for me at 6 months. She lays very reliably too. My other are Splash Silkies from a breeder with show parents. They are 9 months old, have been squatting for me for about 2 months now, and still no eggs. The type of Silkie matters, so it depends on which type you have. I have also heard that Buff Silkies lay even later than the rest.[​IMG]

3. powersurbanfarm

powersurbanfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    She is a bearded silkie that I got from the local feed store (so hatchery, not very good quality), with really bad feet feathering. In fact, her body feathering just became fluffy and decent looking. I really only got her for the cuteness, but the eggs will be a good gift too!

4. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say you're good to go then. Probably any time now (at least within a month or so). I'm happy for you!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by