1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My silkie died and injured Black Marans! Graphic pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hcammack, Jan 13, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My only silkie was lying on the ground with her neck snapped when I got back from school today! [​IMG] I lost no other chicken but my Black Marans is having allot of trouble breathing and seems very lethargic. She is making a wheezzing noise as she inhales and exhales. She is 14 weeks old and was moved in with the large adult flock a week ago. I think the other birds attacked the silkie and she ran into the wire and broke her neck [​IMG] . I was warned their might be trouble as she was bantam and they are all LF birds but they had been in with each other for a week so I stopped watching so carefully. How can I stop this from happening again. Do you think that the Black Marans problems are due to and attack also or an unrelated cold or illness? I really need to figure this out as I don't want to lose my black marans girl and don't want to lose any other the other 14 week old teenagers. I am saving my one Ameraucana cockeral hoping that he can restore order to the flock once he matures. All the other young birds look fine but the black marans looks terrible I really hope she makes it through the night.

Henry

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Oh no Henry. I'm so sorry. I know how you came to really like that little girl. You must be so upset. I hope your other girl will be ok. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks well I have a rooster now [​IMG] it really was terrible I am not sure it wasn't something else her neck was cleanly snapped and she apperes to have brain coming through her nose and mouth [​IMG] I am not even sure a chicken could do that!

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Wow, that sounds awful

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:It is I never thought my flock would do this but I guess I was just being stupid the little black marans girl cannot walk! She is in bad shape but I don't think its an illness I think she also had a head injury from the other hens. I really hope this blue rooster takes control and just whoops some of the older hens butts they are being terrible right now. When are your ameraucana at adult size?

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I hate to tell you this, but the hens will still fight w/ new hens, whether or not there's a rooster in the bunch. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry to hear your sad news Henry. Chickens are just downright mean and vicious sometimes.

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I know but I just think it will make the flock dinamic better + I need an excuse to keep him I won't be adding new hens any time soon. This flock is at its maximum for ever and broodies might try and add some but I will sell those. I just thought after a week of being together they were used to each other not sure what the heck happened [​IMG]

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks I am just starting to understand that [​IMG] no bantams ever again I learned the hard way [​IMG]

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry Henry!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by