My 'silkie' eggs from Ebay

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 9Catsz, Dec 6, 2011.

1. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    I bought some 'silkie' hatching eggs off of Ebay. When I got them, they seemed just a tad bigger than my own silkie eggs, but I thought it was just me.....only 2 hatched and they both look like the one in the picture. In case ya'll can't tell, they have 4 toes and, at less than a day old, they're already the same size as the silkies I hatched 6 days ago.

Any guess as to what kind this is?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hmmm, sure doesn't look like a silkie at all. Maybe a poor quality cochin? Or a mutt? Probably LF. I would not be happy with that shady seller. [​IMG]

3. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    It is sooo cute ,but just not a silkie .Sorry about that. That's a shame.Contact the seller
    On the up side IT IS SOOOOOOOOO CUTE !

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it might have silkie in it but its not pure silkie wont be able to tell until at least 2-3 months maybe later

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Thats why I don't get eggs from Ebay. I know there are BYC'ers that sell there also but I come here for eggs. Too many stories about non fertile eggs or not getting what they paid for etc....

Stick with BYC. Make sure to read the feedbacks first.

6. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    Quote:Yep, learned a valuable lesson. I don't understand why people have to lie about what they're selling.

As for these chicks.....They are adorable....I've already named them Not1 and Not2. LOL

I'm new to silkies....my first year raising them.... and, except for the wee bit of feathers on the legs, I'm not seeing any silkie in them.

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks poor quality cochin lol

8. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Quote:X2

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

its very cute tho!! i ordered alot of eggs from ebay. had what was suppose to be a blue silkie hatch and it was a blue cochin mix. u never know what ur ganna get with eggs off ebay

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree that it's probably a cochin. I would say that it has no silkie in it at all. The crest, black skin, and 5 toes are all pretty dominant, so if it was even part silkie it would have at least some of those traits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by