My silkie Ellie Mae is defective!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jun 29, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She will be 13 months old on the 9th of July. Not a broody bone in her body!

To answer the obvious question, yes she's a SHE. She lays quite well actually, usually 4 eggs a week.

Leave it to me to get a defective silkie. [​IMG]

(Ranchy, don't go there. Just don't go there! [​IMG] )

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm kind of partial to Ranchy's silkie [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Don't encourage her. It only makes her more evil. [​IMG]

4. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I'll join you in the defective silkie club. [​IMG] My 2 girls are 15 months old, one went broody for the first time 2 months ago, and is still sitting (on air), and the other has never been. Neither lay eggs very well, I get about 1 per girl every week. Maybe they are just um, late bloomers??? LOL

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN!! [​IMG] Down to 2 eggs a day right now. I can give you a few lemons though [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN!! [​IMG] Down to 2 eggs a day right now. I can give you a few lemons though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I really don't want her to in this insufferable heat. Plus, I want to wait until my polish girl is laying, so I can hatch some of her eggs. My roosters are brahma and (maybe) turken. One of them over a polish. This should be interesting.

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA

[​IMG]

Well I really don't want her to in this insufferable heat. Plus, I want to wait until my polish girl is laying, so I can hatch some of her eggs. My roosters are brahma and (maybe) turken. One of them over a polish. This should be interesting.

I want a brahma polish cross. That would be so cute.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Gee whillikers, my ears burn at night, can't imagine why...

And for all of you "innocently" requesting my address? Unh uh. No way. Not gonna happen! [​IMG] I learned my lesson from MFB!

Obviously Grits, you need to stop hiding Ellie Mae when Sourland is randomly casting his broody GPS beams around! [​IMG]

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    What is this I see? Gritty, of the eleventy one different threads moaning about broody birds is complaining that one of her Silkies isn't going broody!

You're busted! You realize that Sourland will now go into feverish overtime to see to it that every female bird on your place will get in the mood. Even the roosters are going to want to set! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Think of a Turken over a Silkie, then a Silkie over a Polish, Then cross the offspring. (I'm pretty sure that Silkie gene is recessive so you have to go two generations to get it to show up in crosses.) A Naked Neck Silkie with a top hat. Not just a Showgirl, but one worthy of the Paris stage.

Pleasant dreams, Ranchy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by