My silkie for attacked by a small Bird

pnechickenlady

Hatching
May 12, 2016
My poor silkie has almost all her feathers and I let her out with all the ladies today and a small bird attached her and plucked so many of her feathers out. When I got to her she was nearly lifeless. I brought her inside and cleaned her wings which had a little blood with hydrogen peroxide. She has been gasping for air is making a weird noise like something might be in her lungs. Right now she seems calmer but is taking deep breaths. Not sure what I can or should do from here. I have her in a blanket wrapped up with heat in a crate for her to rest... Any help or knowledge about her gasping and the noise she is making from breathing! Thank you

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! Beside keeping her warm and comfortable I don't think there is much else you can do at the moment… If it was a small bird of prey that attacked her, its talon may have punctured her and caused an internal injury. I hope she'll be alright.

please post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread for more advice. Chickens seem to have great recuperative powers but, you need to watch out for infection, especially when there are puncture wounds and signs of shock.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello and good luck.

All the best
CT

My poor silkie has almost all her feathers and I let her out with all the ladies today and a small bird attached her and plucked so many of her feathers out. When I got to her she was nearly lifeless. I brought her inside and cleaned her wings which had a little blood with hydrogen peroxide. She has been gasping for air is making a weird noise like something might be in her lungs. Right now she seems calmer but is taking deep breaths. Not sure what I can or should do from here. I have her in a blanket wrapped up with heat in a crate for her to rest... Any help or knowledge about her gasping and the noise she is making from breathing! Thank you

Could she just be in shock that she is breathing like that. And I would make sure if she has any puncture wounds keep them clean and put some triple anitoicic cream on it and I just keep an eye on her is really the only thing u can do for her at this point hope this helps good luck.

I know very little about chicken vet medicine, but I am a vet tech and work with furred creatures. Often an increased respiration rate/effort and/or heart rate is seen as a response to pain. I hope your girl recovers well. :(

Back
Top Bottom