My silkie gang

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by shelleyb1969, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Thought that it was about time for me to post pics of my entire silkie gang. To be honest, when I first got the pure silkies as baby chicks, I really didn't like them much. And as they were growing, they definitely weren't my favorite breed...at times I was even convinced that I would never own any more of them. But since they've become more mature, I must say that I absolutely love them. [​IMG] They have such an endearing personality and are really pretty. Now I want a few more! [​IMG] They really do grow on you. These guys haven't reached breeding/laying age yet, and I can hardly wait til they do! [​IMG]

Black hen:
    [​IMG]

Grey roo:
    [​IMG]

Partridge ? (haven't determined this one's gender yet):
    [​IMG]

White roo (this guy's such a ham!):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Sparky, my frizzled silkie (sizzle hen/silkie roo cross).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    They are very cute!!
    I never thought I liked silkies either until I got one!! [​IMG]

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    You have such a pretty variety. I'm so jealous.

4. shelleyb1969

Quote:From what I saw at your place today, I'm the one who's jealous! [​IMG]
    Your showgirl is something else...I want one, or two, or...
    Oh dear, I'm in trouble! [​IMG]

5. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    How can you tell which are roos and which are hens with all that fluff? I'd love to get a silkie!!

6. shelleyb1969

Quote:I've been able to tell with mine for a few weeks now. I could tell by their combs. The roos combs were VERY wide and "lumpy". The hen's combs are a little wide, but relatively flat. Also their mannerisms gave them away.

The white silkie is crowing now, so he and the black one are occasionally fighting to establish dominance. The little black hen..well...you can just tell by the way she vocalizes and acts that she's a girl. And the little partridge I'm pretty sure is a hen, but she's so feisty that I'm not totally convinced yet. Her comb is directing to a hen, but her "oh no you didn't" attitude is like a roo. We'll see, I guess!

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Don't you just love them. I have one young cockerel by hisself. I have been letting him out to roam all day and when I go outside and he hears my voice he follows me everywhere. I pick hm up at nite and put him back in his wire pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by