My silkie gones broody?/

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grey's, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Grey's

Grey's Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    I don't know anything about broody hens. I read a lot of threads here but need to make sure about what I'm doing here.
    Since last Sunday my black silkie has not gotten off her eggs, she was aggressive to my husband but this morning I went in (beensick) and checked things out, I petted her and she was okay with that. I moved her nesting box closer to the heat lamp. I didn't move her but fed her from my hand and she ate. I don't know if she has gotten off her eggs? or if there are eggs? do I move her somewhere else? not sure what to do. I would like to have some chicks for the experience and for more chicks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. curtsey13

curtsey13 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Pennington, NJ
    I'm in the same boat as you!! My youngest Silkie hen has gone broody and is sitting on two little eggs !! Is it too early to let her hatch them? We live in NJ and we have a nice and toasty coop, but we are new to the chicken world, so I'm not sure what would be needed for the little chicks to survive. Help!![​IMG] I'm worried about the rest of the flock / roosters bothering her.

3. Grey's

Grey's Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    Curtesy13 same here, will the others hurt her? its cold here in the minus' they can't go outside. Do I pick her up to check how many eggs? don't know what to do either.

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    if you are afraid of the other birds hurting her, the eggs, or any chicks that might hatch, move her to a dog crate or a separate cage, with a heat source. If you pick her up, wear work or gardening gloves, because broodies BITE. Momma hen will take care of the babies, and keep them perfectly warm. Just buy some chick starter (only if you are sure that the eggs will hatch) and wait.

5. curtsey13

curtsey13 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Pennington, NJ
    I'm lucky - my hen is not biting, I actually moved her because I thought she was sick - surprise! 2 little eggs - warm as can be [​IMG]!! I think I'll move her into a dog crate just to make sure that she is safe. My husband is going to "love" it if we have to move them into the kitchen - - we are expecting a litter of pups at the end of Feb. and we just had a little baby boy of our own, so what difference would the addition of chickens be? Oh boy!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by