My silkie has a squishy lump above his breast bone

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencrazylady, Dec 21, 2011.

1. chickencrazylady

chickencrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I had to go out to my coop when I arrive home tonight after 8:30 pm, and with a flash light to check for eggs and close the coop door to the run. When I shone the light on the roost I realize that my Silkie roo wasn't on the low roost. I then went into the run and found him on his side not able to move. I picked him up and placed him on his feet, but still he couldn't move properly. I brought him into the house. Once in the house and on a piece of long carpet he had trouble being able to walk, sorta took a step or two and bowed down on his feet and sorta shuffled. Very concerned that he might have been in the run, I gave him water and he drank quite a bit, then some bread crumbs and greens. I had to pick him up again when I discovered a palm size lump just below is neck and just above his breast bone. When my silkie was standing between my legs and I was cupping the lump and touching it very lightly he would sorta shudder and quake and shake, I believe he was in pain. He crowed and growled when my cats came to inquire but was unable to advance on them.
    I remember that there might be a disease that Silkies get.
    I then took him back out to the coop and put him in. We have a resident rabbit in the coop also, and when I closed the door, my rabbit went after Silkie and was trying to bite him. it happened 3 time in only minutes, I put the rabbit in a spare enclosure inside the coop and my silkie was able to get on his roost.

2. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    [​IMG] for the poor dear. Was that bump his crop/gizzerd?

3. chickencrazylady

Jul 29, 2011
    I would really like to find a diagram of a chicken that would show exactly where the crop is. Like I said, the lump is about an inch dow from his neck and just above his breast bone, he is also very thin to me.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    You are feeling the crop. Considering he just drank a lot and ate, it doesn't surprise me that it's squishy. Some possibilities for his paralysis are Marek's and Botulism. Is it possible that the rabbit attacked him and broke a leg or injured him badly?

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:The lump sounds like his crop.

6. chickencrazylady

Jul 29, 2011
    I discovered the lump before while I was giving him water to drink.

7. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    It could have been squishey from being empty because he haden't eaten or drank? [​IMG] Has your guard bunney attacked b4??[​IMG]

8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
  9. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
  10. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C