My silkie has diarrhea and lost ALOT of weight

R3n3308

Chirping
Jun 24, 2018
Texas
BACKSTORY
My daughter plans on showing this girl at the stock show in January. (This photo was Oct 4)
20181004_202613.jpg
A few weeks ago I noticed blood in some chicken poo, so I treated with corrid. Then it rained for a week. During that time I was giving the flock save.A.chick and making sure none of my silkies had sneezes or runny noses bc I always do when the weather changes etc
3 days ago my silkie girl didnt come out with everyone else. So I took her out and she seemed okay.
2days ago
The next day she was really slow to come out. So I picked her up and put her out. But she still wouldnt walk. (She CAN walk, just doesnt want to from WEAKNESS) I gave her a bath and noticed her eyes had goop and so did her nose. She had poop clumped all on her butt. Shes also lost alot of weight. She eats on her own. Crop is full. I started her on poly.vi.sol and save.A.chick with her feed and some oatmeal and selinium. That night I read coccidiosis doesnt always have blood. And since shes lost so much weight I thought maybe from 2 weeks ago and it never got better. So I took away the poly.vi.sol because it has thiamine. Added corrid. Still doing Save.A.Chick. and non medicated chick starter.
YESTERDAY
She seemed to be a little more perky yesterday.
TODAY
I have given her another bath. I read she should be eating about 70g of food per day. I think she is eating under that amount. But I measured it out today, so I would know for sure. What else can I do??? She doesnt seem to be getting better. It's kinda going up and down. Should I treat for worms? I just dont wanna throw everything at her. I do have wazine. NO OTHER CHICKENS ARE SICK!!!!!
20181024_112351.jpg
20181024_104216.jpg
20181024_104158.jpg
20181024_110021.jpg

Attachments

• 20181021_171326.jpg
    20181021_171326.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

ashlierami

Songster
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
BACKSTORY
My daughter plans on showing this girl at the stock show in January. (This photo was Oct 4) View attachment 1569840 A few weeks ago I noticed blood in some chicken poo, so I treated with corrid. Then it rained for a week. During that time I was giving the flock save.A.chick and making sure none of my silkies had sneezes or runny noses bc I always do when the weather changes etc
3 days ago my silkie girl didnt come out with everyone else. So I took her out and she seemed okay.
2days ago
The next day she was really slow to come out. So I picked her up and put her out. But she still wouldnt walk. (She CAN walk, just doesnt want to from WEAKNESS) I gave her a bath and noticed her eyes had goop and so did her nose. She had poop clumped all on her butt. Shes also lost alot of weight. She eats on her own. Crop is full. I started her on poly.vi.sol and save.A.chick with her feed and some oatmeal and selinium. That night I read coccidiosis doesnt always have blood. And since shes lost so much weight I thought maybe from 2 weeks ago and it never got better. So I took away the poly.vi.sol because it has thiamine. Added corrid. Still doing Save.A.Chick. and non medicated chick starter.
YESTERDAY
She seemed to be a little more perky yesterday.
TODAY
I have given her another bath. I read she should be eating about 70g of food per day. I think she is eating under that amount. But I measured it out today, so I would know for sure. What else can I do??? She doesnt seem to be getting better. It's kinda going up and down. Should I treat for worms? I just dont wanna throw everything at her. I do have wazine. NO OTHER CHICKENS ARE SICK!!!!!
View attachment 1569841 View attachment 1569842 View attachment 1569846 View attachment 1569848
This does not look good at all. You should try increasing her dosage of corid in the water and syringe water her. I had a hen that wouldn't get better because she wouldn't drink the corid water. I would make a stronger dose about 1/4 cup and give it to her by syringe or make her drink that. I would give half in the morning and half before bed of this stronger dose. She got better by day 3 of this and was back in the flock. Boiled eggs are a life saver food I would also put some powder on the eggs and feed them to her. Just anything to get her to intake the stronger dose. I've been told you can't overdose corid unless of course you did something extreme. I hope your girl gets better. I was going to post a question about my own silkie but since you have some maybe you could offer me some advice. I have a partridge silkie she is a little over a year old. She does not lay eggs even tho I provide calcium for her. She went broody at 5 months old and had her chick. When the chick was about 4 weeks she started laying again. Everything was fine for 2 or 3 weeks she laid daily. Then things changed she would get egg bound or have eggs with no shell. Eventually she stopped producing eggs at all. Here I am now she doesn't lay and I've tried giving her vitamins and feed her protein and a good balance of food. Nothing works. The next issue is her feathers they take forever to grow back. It's getting cold and she has a slight bare back. Also her skin is flaky and dry. What could I do to help with this dry skin and for feather growth? I put a supplement on her feed called "kicking chicken" it's Omega rich and supports beautiful plummage. Sorry to just ask you but I wanted advice from a fellow silkie owner.

R3n3308

Chirping
Jun 24, 2018
Texas
This does not look good at all. You should try increasing her dosage of corid in the water and syringe water her. I had a hen that wouldn't get better because she wouldn't drink the corid water. I would make a stronger dose about 1/4 cup and give it to her by syringe or make her drink that. I would give half in the morning and half before bed of this stronger dose. She got better by day 3 of this and was back in the flock. Boiled eggs are a life saver food I would also put some powder on the eggs and feed them to her. Just anything to get her to intake the stronger dose. I've been told you can't overdose corid unless of course you did something extreme. I hope your girl gets better. I was going to post a question about my own silkie but since you have some maybe you could offer me some advice. I have a partridge silkie she is a little over a year old. She does not lay eggs even tho I provide calcium for her. She went broody at 5 months old and had her chick. When the chick was about 4 weeks she started laying again. Everything was fine for 2 or 3 weeks she laid daily. Then things changed she would get egg bound or have eggs with no shell. Eventually she stopped producing eggs at all. Here I am now she doesn't lay and I've tried giving her vitamins and feed her protein and a good balance of food. Nothing works. The next issue is her feathers they take forever to grow back. It's getting cold and she has a slight bare back. Also her skin is flaky and dry. What could I do to help with this dry skin and for feather growth? I put a supplement on her feed called "kicking chicken" it's Omega rich and supports beautiful plummage. Sorry to just ask you but I wanted advice from a fellow silkie owner.

Is she with a rooster. I would separate her or bring her inside for a bit. Increase her calcium with maybe some oyster shells to help with the egg shell. My seramas took forever to get their feathers back. The one who currently has all the feathers I brought inside away from the rooster for a month while she was broody. I also got a feed that had (I wanna say 22% protein, I believe it was a chick starter) when I put her back she of course had the babies and still wouldnt allow the rooster on her. So within a few weeks she was good. The other one is still missing feathers. I should prob separate her. Also If hes mounting her alot maybe its stressing her out and making her not wanna lay + the feathers. I'm not a expert by any means. Just got our girls in April.

R3n3308

Chirping
Jun 24, 2018
Texas

Also I have increased the corrid. I weighed her today and she is 530g. So like 1.2 lbs. She had 1solid poo. But still has diarrhea. I have the stuff to tube feed, but I'm scared to. Even tho I prob should do it. I also wormed her with panacur. She is still sitting up and eating some. I plan on weighing her every couple days to see if we are getting better.

R3n3308

Chirping
Jun 24, 2018
Texas
Oh my she looks in bad shape.
Any new birds recently? (Last few months)

We got some new babies, but that was 2.5 or 3 months ago. Now that you mention that I found one of the babies dead about 2 months ago and his butt was covered in poo like hers. I just thought it was the weather (I'm in TX and it's been raining non-stop) Also I had been sick, so I didnt check on them for a couple days bc they have automatic feeder and waterer.

Kiki

🙄🤚Less is More
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
We got some new babies, but that was 2.5 or 3 months ago. Now that you mention that I found one of the babies dead about 2 months ago and his butt was covered in poo like hers. I just thought it was the weather (I'm in TX and it's been raining non-stop) Also I had been sick, so I didnt check on them for a couple days bc they have automatic feeder and waterer.
New birds could have brought in a new strain of coccidia.
Is she the same bird that had the orangey things?

Kiki

🙄🤚Less is More
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
Also I have increased the corrid. I weighed her today and she is 530g. So like 1.2 lbs. She had 1solid poo. But still has diarrhea. I have the stuff to tube feed, but I'm scared to. Even tho I prob should do it. I also wormed her with panacur. She is still sitting up and eating some. I plan on weighing her every couple days to see if we are getting better.
Do you have the liquid or powder Corid?
What do you mean by increased it?
How much were you using vs how much are you using now?

Top Bottom