My silkie has lost its mind

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NicInNC, May 11, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    My silkie is a nut to begin with. I always refer to it as a "she", but I've been told that it's hard to tell the gender of a silkie until it maybe crows one day.

She is pretty slow and reminds me of a ditzy blonde (I'm blonde, but not ditzy....at least I don't think I am!). She's started doing this thing where she hunches down like she's getting ready to run a race and then she takes off running, jumping and flapping her wings at the other chickens. She never pecks at the other chickens or makes contact with her. They see her coming and they all take off running. [​IMG] She seems to enjoy herself! It's so funny to watch though because she can't run fast.

Is this common behavior?

2. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    my silkies have some peculiar behaviors, but they dont do this. i wish you could post a video.

3. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'll try to get a video of her up next week. She's too funny sometimes.

4. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    LOL! Funny!

5. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Another reason why I want a silkie....they sound like really fun critters!!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a coop full of Delaware youngsters who are going to be 11 weeks old this week, and they do that alot. They seem to be playing, just exhuberant. Hey, means they're happy and feel good!

7. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    My silkie, Chippy usually isn't very crazy. However, when she goes broody, that's another story! She's at the bottom of the pecking order, so she doesn't go after the others, but she does have the habit of spontaniously screaming and making a hurricane with her wings in the middle of the coop. Then she goes and fights with our frizzle bantam until the frizzle gets out of her cage or gives up and lets Chippy clean her.

8. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    My 2 white silkies are almost 7 weeks old and do exactly what you are describing, it is so funny to watch. The 2 that are 1 week younger have started doing it too, they just get so excited when I let them out to play. I have 1 black the same age as the whites and he is above such things.

9. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    our 7 weekers do a similar thing too, they dart across the coop flapping their wings for a turbo boost and then just stop. or they weeve back and forth through imaginary obstical course. it is pretty funny but you have to watch your step because they are quick, springy little suckers!

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

While it may be play, just to err on the side of caution make sure she doesn't have any injuries to her feet, and or "she" isn't impacted or anything.

Mine will do that when I put them on a surface they haven't been on before. Shavings to wire, wire to shavings, the ground etc...

Has yours started chasing "air bugs" yet? THAT is funny.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by