My silkie hen crowed..... Is she a roo? SILKIE EXPERTS UNITE!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrazyAnimalGirl, Aug 9, 2010.

1. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    I got this silkie from a local chicken lover (I also got a few younger partridge-y chicks). She picked this one out as most likely a hen because she resembled the one that was sitting on an egg. The father is a big white silkie with a big rose comb. She is about 4-5 months old, very sweet and likes to snuggle. I put her outside in the chicken house to get some fresh air, and all of a sudden I hear a rooster crow! Not a very good rooster crow but it was definitely her. We have neighbor chickens across the street that she was probably talking to. She also let some of her cousin chicks huddle under her when they got scared (but she would peck them pretty hard if they moved! haha) She also pecks the day old chicks and 2 hens that I just got yesterday. (pretty fiercely, but I haven't seen her try to mount one, but maybe she/he hasn't been able to... )She doesn't just peck very quickly, she holds on for a sec so that made me think she was trying to "get em". [​IMG]

The single or straight comb is confusing me, she has all 5 toes. She does cackle, but at this point I dont know what's what![​IMG]

CAN SOMEONE HELP??? Here are some pics!!!----- don't go much on feathers, she still has a TON coming in....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not pulling her waddle, actual size
    [​IMG]
    Tail is round sometimes, pointy sometimes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is how she "sits/perches"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wet bird!!

Her comb and wattles are mulberry. I swear I saw a streamer (if that is like a long piece of feather hair) on her neck, but I cant find it anymore.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Thats a rooster

3. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    looks like a rooster but very well could be a hen. i have some dominate hens that crow but lay eggs!!

4. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Oh my, maybe i'll just have a bi-sexual. It seems to run in the family.... my two jack russell sisters try to you know what each other and one of them tries to get on the tiny male chihuahua! [​IMG]

Is it normal the way she/he is perching/sitting???

5. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Looks like a roo. A lot of waddle for a bird that young.

6. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Quote:What's waddle? Pardon my lack of vocabulary!

You know, i've been searcing for hours, maybe days at this point, and there's really nothing that can define the sex of a silkie for certain! There's a million posts about it! I think someone should make an invention that comes with every silkie to be able to sex them! (other than an expensive DNA test!)

**** I'm so sorry! I had a brain fart, i'm not used to seeing "waddle" in the singular form! [​IMG] haha. I'm guessing you are saying he/she has big waddles.

Do you think this bird will get a rose comb or does it stay like it is?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Definitely a roo...strange comb for a Silkie though.

8. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Straight combs are recessive. If both parents carry the gene then the chicks can have straight combs. It doesn't mean that it is mixed. It is a boy, sorry [​IMG]

9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    It is a pet quality (Do NOT breed this bird) Rooster with an incorrect (single) large comb. He should not be bred or shown.
    Also, no foot feathers? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  10. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Quote:What will happen if he's bred? Or why not?
    He does have foot feathers, quite a bit in fact. I think it's just cause he's a "low rider" haha, all the black fluff just smooshes together.

[​IMG]
    Where my thumb is, that the top of the thigh
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's ok, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by