My silkie hen has an issue.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rick5070, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Rick5070

Rick5070 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2012
    My little silkie hen has been a great little hen but lately she has been laying thin unshelled eggs. She has been laying eggs for the better part of a year and she isn't much more than a year and a half. We have been feeding all the girls the same feed and my rhode island red and my americauna all the same feed and have no issues with their eggs. We have been also giving egg shells that are crushed very fine with their food as well. She isn't lethargic or acting odd. She behaves normally. If there is something we need to be doing differently then any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    What is the feed they have now, layer, an all flock, grower? Is it a pellet or crumbles? Its possible she is eating only the lager pieces and leaving the finer parts that may be more calcium rich. Some hens utilize calcium better then others. You might want to try a different calcium supplement, like oyster shell. It is also possible she has a vitamin D deficiency.

3. Rick5070

Rick5070 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2012
    We were using later crumbles and she would do it every so often. But we switched to an all flock to be able to feed our ducks and chickens the same instead of two different feeds since the ducks are now laying too. We will give the oyster shell a shot. What can be done to correct a vitamin d deficiency? Thanks so much for the information.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A crushed vitamin mixed in a treat is one one way. But give the oyster shell a chance first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by