**My Silkie hen is no longer silky! Silkie lost it's feathers and they're not growing back.**

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mwing14, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Mwing14

Mwing14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Arizona.
    Hello everyone! I have a white Silkie hen that is almost bald in some places. I've attached pictures so you can see what I mean. She has been like this for a couple months now and I have no idea why. The rest of the flock is fine and fluffy as ever. My flock use to have lice so I thought that could have something to do with it but I have been putting some stuff on her every week that is suppose to get rid of lice. I used this same stuff on the rest of my flock before and it has worked just fine. Anyways the lice stuff did not help at all her feathers actually look even worse. The main are as where she is missing feathers is almost her entire back area (as you can see) and around her butt. She also does not have any feathers on her face like most Silkies. She is not getting picked on either so it couldn't be pecking from the others. I know this because she is actually my meanest chicken. She's attacked her fellow hens, a couple young roosters, and even my poodle lol. I also read that it can be from overmating from the other roosters, but what do you guys think? I'm not sure if I should separate her or if that would do nothing. Any advice would be great or explanation to why this is happening. I really want to get her back to her fluffy, feathery self. It's hard to believe that just a year ago she won second place in the county fair. I'd like her to look that way again. Well thanks for reading! Again any help would be awesome!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Mwing14

Mar 30, 2012
    Arizona.
    Yeah I thought about that too but the flock was born on the same day as her. So shouldn't everyone be molting? Also she has been like this for a couple months.

4. Mwing14

Mar 30, 2012
    Arizona.
    Anyone else have any other advice??

5. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Looks like a molt to me. I had one hen that took 6 months to finish her molt ...I thought I would have to knit her a sweater lol. It looks like pin feathers are coming in ... She just probably needs more time.

6. Mwing14

Mar 30, 2012
    Arizona.
    Well thank you :)! So you don't think I need to seperate her?

7. No she's fine! Most hens start molting on there 2nd year? How old is she? Oh and do you have any roosters? Over mating can cause feather loss. I wouldn't seperate her anyway! If you live where is gets super cold in the winter you could make/buy her a chicken sweater. (make sure it has wing holes that are big enough) If it doesn't get cold where you are don't worry about her much!
    Good Luck!

8. Mwing14

Mar 30, 2012
    Arizona.
    She is a year old and I do have two roosters. I thought it might be over mating as well. Also it does get pretty cold here. In the winter at night it can get below freezing. I might do the sweater thing. Thank you for the help! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by