My silkie hen went broody in winter

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
I went out to get the eggs and my silkie hen was growling and puffing up and I looked under her and there is 3 eggs it's November in Ohio and theres snow on the ground and cold of course and this silkie hen was born this past spring and isnt a year old yet but I think I'm gonna go ahead and let her sit these eggs what do you think?? and I will post a picture on here later

If you want her to hatch them out just know she can't keep them only under her all winter, which they would have to be to survive. you will need a separate heated pen, but she will also be grumpy about this because mom will want to walk around with her babies. If you want to let her have these 3 eggs- mark them with pencil. remove any others, because you don't want too many under her or they will go cold be ready to take them inside to brood as they hatch. you can then raise them in house or set up a heated pen, another option is to get an inexpensive incubator and finish the job yourself.

i make my own. good luck.

If you want her to hatch them out just know she can't keep them only under her all winter, which they would have to be to survive. you will need a separate heated pen, but she will also be grumpy about this because mom will want to walk around with her babies. If you want to let her have these 3 eggs- mark them with pencil. remove any others, because you don't want too many under her or they will go cold be ready to take them inside to brood as they hatch. you can then raise them in house or set up a heated pen, another option is to get an inexpensive incubator and finish the job yourself.

i make my own. good luck.
Thanks for the info and yes I have an incubator I bought this past summer a still air incubator but I would like to let her do it if she wants to so bad,and when you said she can't keep them under her all winter did you mean because they will grow bigger?

no because a mom will not just sit on chicks, she would want to walk around and find food for them not knowing they could freeze.

no because a mom will not just sit on chicks, she would want to walk around and find food for them not knowing they could freeze.
Yea,I had my first broody this past summer and I know what it's like but when the chicks are peeping or they want under her she will squat down and keep them warm but then again the snow will get to there little feet cause It's a pen I made out of a swingset frame and I put a little coop at the end with straw in it and the broody is a white silkie hen and also in the pen is another white silkie hen and a buff silkie rooster

Place two straw bales in pen and place a 4' x 4' piece of plywood over them so birds have a cave. Place some loose hay in the cave. Place feeder at mouth of cave. Chicks will then have dry refuge where they can get exercise.

boom done.... no I would still heat.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom