my silkie is about to hatch 3 eggs but weather is very cold. (freezing). should i leave them with he

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cazzzyboy, Dec 8, 2012.

1. cazzzyboy

cazzzyboy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Im a bit worried about the weather as it is freezing. should i seperate chicks from there mum and put in a brooder in my shed or leave them with her? any info would be great. due to hatch in 3 days.

2. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    are you in a place that snows? because i hatched 9 chicks out with a hen when it was freezing and i was where it didn't snow.

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Please leave them with her. It would be cruel to take them away after she's done all the work incubating and hatching them. Just make sure they are in a dry, draught free place where they can stay warm and dry. If you want to you can hang a heat lamp in there for them (I'm sure mom would love that too), but mom should be quite capable of keeping their fluffy butts warm. I've had hens raise chicks outside over winter and though we didn't get snow, night time temperatures dropped below freezing more than once and they were fine. The moms did a great job keeping them warm.

1 person likes this.
  4. cazzzyboy

cazzzyboy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    thats great! I would rather she kept them. im in scotland so there is plenty snow and not raising above freezing at all just now. i could move my coop inside my shed maybe and put a red light in the nest area. I only have another 1 hen who is in with her just now so she should be ok with that too i hope. thanks for the info!!!

5. cracked egg

cracked egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    I have a phoenix right now that has 9 chicks 2 weeks old. It is freezing right now here with snow. I have her in the brooding room with a heat lamp. The lamp is a back up for heat. Seems the little buggers get separated occasionally and the lamp will keep them from freezing till the hen gets them back. The hen will not leave the chicks under her to go and get the one that's separated.
    Other than that let her raise them up.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I have 5 chicks that have been out with their mom since hatching 4 weeks ago. They have been out running around in the snow, no supplemental heat - if they get cold they run and find mom to warm up.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That can work. But wait until she's hatched them before moving her or she may get upset and refuse to sit any longer. Broodies can be difficult...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by