1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my silkie is broody and i had some questions please read

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AnimalLover99, Jan 1, 2013.

1. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    my silkie has been broody for a few weeks and i just decided to get some hatching eggs to put under her. if i order them they will be here sometime next week. will she still be broody? she is pretty persistent shes been broody for about 3 weeks... and i have been taking the other chickens' eggs out from under her everyday(the other chickens kick her out to lay them) so half the time she has been sitting on nothing but never leaves the nesting box (except shortly for food/water). i put a few eggs under her so maybe that would help her stay broody?(the eggs are unfertile and i marked them to know which ones they were). I have no roosters which is why im ordering eggs online. I was planning on sectioning off an area in the run for her to hatch and raise her chicks so she is away from all the other chickens(obviously i would put a nesting box in the area). Anyway so i was wondering that because she has been broody so long when i put the eggs under her next week will she sit on them the whole 3 weeks? also any tips or if theres anything wrong with my idea of her raising the chicks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here is an article on broodies https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens

There is no way to know whether she will stay broody, although being a Silkie, your chances should be relatively good. It's a good idea for them to have a separate area for the setting, with a little space for getting a little exercise. When the chicks hatch, though, you might want to consider letting her raise them in with the flock. If she's a good mama she will protect the chicks. This way, when she stops mothering them and they are about half grown. they will be an accepted part of the flock, and you won't have to keep the chicks separate for several more weeks til they are the same size as the adults.

3. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    the only reason i was worried about her raising the chicks with the flock is she is the only bantam in a flock of six and they already bully her. could she keep her chicks safe?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by