my silkie is broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookykim, Aug 15, 2008.

1. spookykim

spookykim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I went down to give my chickens some treats and seen that my black silkie Abraham did not come out to get treats I look in her box and pet her and she just was laying there. so I checked under her and she was on eggs [​IMG] it is the first time she has done this. [​IMG] I cant w8 to see what happens [​IMG]

wtg Abraham [​IMG]

2. spookykim

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio
    so now that she is on eggs and wont get off what do I do for her? do I take food and water in for her? I never had any go broody before and dont know what to do. any advice will be helpfull thanks

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can put food and water near her if you like.

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    she will only leave the nest once a day put feed and water near her

5. spookykim

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio
    ok now I may have a problem with her. I just got off work and went to check on her and she was still in her little box but moved over off the eggs, and the eggs were cold. I put them back under her but now I am scared that they may not hatch now because they got cold what do you guys think? should I just take them and put them in with the eggs I am hatching or just let her be? also do you know why she would move off the eggs?

6. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    If this is her first time being broody, I would say it is inexperience. Last year the silkies were not real good at sitting on eggs, this year they won't stop. Even though I pull eggs everyday and don't have a roo. She will figure it out. Just don't fuss with her a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by