1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My silkie is in brood

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickyshay, Mar 3, 2015.

1. chickyshay

chickyshay New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I have 2 silkie hens, a white silkie roo, 2 black tailed Japanese bantams, and a buff cochin roo in the same pen. My grey silkie hen has been in brood for 7 days. The Japanese hen has been getting in the nest with my broodie silkie and the silkie has been putting her eggs under her. I know that the Japanese is a favorite of my cochin roo. I know it is only 2 more weeks before the eggs hatch but I was wondering if anyone knows what the chicks will be like. I am sooo excited and can hardly - it is like this is my first grand child!!!![​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Well it will probably be one of those wonderful cute chick surprises. Can you tell your hens' eggs apart? You might want to put a pencil mark on the eggs under your broody just to make sure the other hens don't lay more eggs in the nest that crowd out the eggs that she started brooding. I hope Silkie broody has a great hatch!

3. chickyshay

chickyshay New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I marked all the eggs she had under her. Chickens are quite the addiction aren't they?

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They sure are addictive, especially when you get to see them hatch. I hope that your share photos of the chicks once they hatch and as they grow. I love to see how mixed breed chicks turn out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by