My silkie is mean/scared

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylovelyladies, May 1, 2008.

1. mylovelyladies

mylovelyladies Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Hi BYC [​IMG] I'm brand new here - I got my 4 hens just yesterday. I have a Barred Rock, Columbia Rock, RIR and Silkie. Everyone seems to be doing very well but the silkie (dd named her Sweetie Puff [​IMG] ) pecks anyone who comes near her. I can't even get past her to get at the feed and water without coming under attack. We got her and are getting a Cochin as "pets" for our kids so if it keeps up we have a problem! What can I do? I know that she's new and I understand that I don't know her background (bought her at a poultry sale - she looks well cared for - better than my standards who were from a commercial egg laying situation). I hope that she's more scared than mean or aggressive and that it improves with time. I'd like to help her along - suggestions?

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    What ever you do tell everyone to not harass her back..

That will scare her and either make her mean or afraid of you..

I would say it is just a self protection thing going on because she is over whelmed..

Give her a few days do not insist that she socialize with any one.
    When she feels safe and calms down start offering her tiny treats.
    Then pick her up and hold her while you walk around the yard
    She has the potential of becomming a very calm and happy pet.

She is Pecking because somone or something just fliped her world inside out.

GOOD LUCK

3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    yeah i bought mine off with crickets.

4. mylovelyladies

May 1, 2008
    Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

What ever you do tell everyone to not harass her back..

That will scare her and either make her mean or afraid of you..

I would say it is just a self protection thing going on because she is over whelmed..

Give her a few days do not insist that she socialize with any one.
    When she feels safe and calms down start offering her tiny treats.
    Then pick her up and hold her while you walk around the yard
    She has the potential of becomming a very calm and happy pet.

She is Pecking because somone or something just fliped her world inside out.

GOOD LUCK

No harassing here! So far she has really not been handled at all. Just to get her into the coop and she pecked repeatedly. Then reaching in for the food and water and she was pecking then too. Do you think it's possible that she's been mistreated and is already mean? Thankfully the standards aren't at all interested in her - not bothering her at all. She stays behind the feeder kind of hiding in the corner. When she got here I was worried - didn't think she was going to make it. My dad bought her at the sale on Sun and kept her in a cage in his pigeon loft (alone) until Wed when he brought her here. She perked up really quickly but she certainly has been through a lot. We plan to let them into the run tomorrow - we'll see how she does.

What kinds of treats should I offer? It's going to be hard to have the kids be patient - they are already dying to hold her but they are only 3 and 5 years old.​

5. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    WELCOME [​IMG]
    Test the treats till she finds one she loves...

I sprinkle Old fashioned oatmeal flakes on the ground for my birds..

I also toss them each a few moist cat food or dog food peices.

I know its hard to wait but either she will be tramatized to much or your children will become afraid of her if she pecks them. It will get better..

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
  7. mylovelyladies

May 1, 2008
    Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

Silkies are my thing... :)

http://www.picturetrail.com/flufnstuffs

http://www.flufnstuff.com

I noticed [​IMG] I really appreciate your advice. We are adding 1 or 2 bantams and a standard to our flock - we are thinking of a bantam Cochin and a bantam Wyandotte but I would get another Silkie instead if you think that would help her.​

8. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Well - Silkies are very dependent on each other. They usually do NOT roost but prefer to cuddle together in a clean corner when they sleep.
    I keep a nest box on the floor for mine they will not jump up into a nest box on the wall like other chickens.

9. mylovelyladies

May 1, 2008
    So she wouldn't cuddle up with another bantam breed? Perhaps we have another puffball on the horizon! I have noticed that she cuddles down by herself in the corner almost all day. Unfortunately the corner she has chosen is right at the coop door so it's disruptive to her when we need to get in. I tried to set up another corner for her but so far she's staying there. Our nest boxes are basically at floor level so I'm sure she could get in but so far the RIR and Columbia Rock seem to like to hang out in there.

Is there any way I can tell how old she is?

10. mylovelyladies

May 1, 2008
    Thankfully she seems to be coming around. She's getting more comfortable every day and isn't nearly as nervous when we are around. I'm going to try giving her some treats tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by