1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my silkie is not a silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by zibby, Jul 9, 2011.

1. zibby

zibby Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Shiner
    I am pretty new to chickens and completely new to silkies. I bought 10 from Ideal. They hatched April 27th. Sadly, I lost 2 the first week, I don't know why, but they were sickly. I lost 2( a beautiful whitle and a splash) to one of my dogs who had shown no previous interest in chickens. I let my guard down.

Anyway I have 6 silkies now.

2 partridge
    1 black
    2 blue or gray - I don't understand the differance - can someone please explain????

and a buff.

But, the buff sprouted a pinkish single comb. He is larger and heavier than the others. I say he because he started crowing at 6 weeks old.
    He does have 5 toes, blue skin, and silky feathers but he has brown eyes.

Is this some genetic throwback or was there a "leghorn in the woodpile" at Ideal?

I would post pictures but its over 100 outside now and they are lying around panting. I don't want to stress them out.

any insight would be helpful -thanks zibby

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hatchery silkies are often far from the standard.

Blue has solid coloured feathers. Greys have a pattern on individual feathers.

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    that would be a mix. silkies have walnut combs.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It's a hatchery bird. They OFTEN have incorrect features compared with the standard. If it has silkie feathers, it is a silkie.

5. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    Quote:x2. I got rid of some of mine at a local swap. And a woman walked past and asked if they were silkie polish cross.... I told them " nope, these are breeder birds not hatchery" with a smile of course [​IMG]

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Mrs. Cannon :

Quote:x2. I got rid of some of mine at a local swap. And a woman walked past and asked if they were silkie polish cross.... I told them " nope, these are breeder birds not hatchery" with a smile of course [​IMG]

x3 Single combs will pop even in non hatchery Silkies. Although it is pretty rare.​

7. zibby

zibby Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Shiner
    Thanks for your replies.

He has great personality and definitely rules the roost. I don't know how close to the standard my others are, but they are very cute and affectionate. I think having these silkies has already given me better insight into my other chickens. These guys are so little and docile that I have handled them a lot and become much more confidant about bonding with my other hens.

I am looking forward to finding out if they are hens or roos. I am pretty sure I have 1 roo besides my buff guy, 2 hens and I don't know about the other 2.

If I can get them to pose for pictures, I will post them and you can let me know.

Thanks
    zibby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by