My Silkie is Sick and now another one. PLEASE Help

chikalady

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
I went out this morning to find my 4 month old Silkie laying in his cage. He could not stand up and his legs were out front of him like he was sitting on his butt. I brought him inside and washed him off because he had pooped all over himself. He is eatting out of my hand and seems to have control of his neck. I then saw a large bubble "blister" on the back of his neck under the skin. What should I do? I gave him some Vitamin E and wrapped him in a towel to keep him from rolling around while trying to move and flap his wings,

UPDATE:
I found another Silkie today with a weird problem. He was pecking at the air. He was trying to eat and kept pecking trying to get his food but he was about an inch too short of reaching it. I checked his eyes and they both look clear. He is walking fine.

Last edited:
do you have any prednisone? If not get him to the vet for some to get that swelling down!

It doent look like crookneck where the bird stands head between legs - almost- and wiggles his head back and forth then falls over. ( I use 1/16th of a 5 mg prednisone tablet for a few days then slowly wean him off it)

When my silkies get sick I take them indoors and put a towel on them for warmth, so you did the right thing. Give your silkie special care, and plenty of water as well. But not too much food, because it may weigh him down. Does he seem to be eating more than usual?

I checked him again and I cannot find the bubble on the back of his neck. He is still eatting a little out of my hand and has taken a little bit of water. He seems to be alert and his eyes are clear.

Ok then it seems that he's doing a little better than before
smile.png
keep at it and I really hope he feels better soon! We will be thinking about him
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom