My silkie is suddenly getting picked on.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Runamuckranch1, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Runamuckranch1

Runamuckranch1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2014
    I have been treating my chickens with Corid and wormer after getting advice from a vet online. My Silkie is still feeling under the weather for the past week, and the last 2 days has been bullied and had the back of her head bleed after being pecked by 2 Rhode Island Reds that she has been raised with. Why would they all of a sudden pick on her? Any ideas what to do about it? I have put up a temporary baarricade in the coop to separate her for a few days till her head heals. Will they always pick on her from here on out, or will it stop after she heals and is feeling better? I really dont have the resources to put up another coop and run for her .

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Others will sometimes sense a sick or weak chicken, and start to pick on it. Hatchery RIR's are not pure and can be a bit aggressive. Silkies can be pretty low in the pecking order, and may do better with similar breeds.

3. Runamuckranch1

Dec 15, 2014
    Thank you. My friend that is knowlegeable of chickens looked at her yesterday and thinks she has a neurological problem, so youre probably right. I just dont know why after a year it would suddenly happen, I will look further into her affliction.

4. Runamuckranch1

Dec 15, 2014
    What are the symptoms and treatment for Marek's in a 1 year old hen? She seems uncoordinated, slow and just not right. All my chickens were recently wormed and treated for Cocci and with Corid after being treated with sulphamethazine . The rest of the flock is fine now, I lost several.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by