My silkie is the only meany...indictive of gender?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by my4ladies, Aug 19, 2010.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm trying to introduce my 2 chicks (2 weeks old) to my other 3 older chicks. I thought this would be easier b/c the older ones are still chicks themselves, but it hasn't. I have a silver-laced wyandotte & EE (both 1 1/2 months) and a silkie (2 1/2 months). I've put them in a run, with a divider so they can be near each other with no consequences. Then I took it out and stood on watch. We were all out there the majority of the day. The only one that bothered the babies was the silkie!!! It kept pecking at the babies, and sometimes would keep following them, just to peck them.

Is this any indicator it's a male? And either way, is there anything else I can do? Eventually will it leave them alone? Right now, both of the babies are in the house...but will need to go out with the others soon.

Also, I've tried letting the babies down while the others are free ranging. They still follow me around. Will they eventually WANT to stay with their kind [​IMG]?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    my little silkie hen is a bossy little poop. She is currently split betweeon coops because a fayoumi roo was causing her damage... I am waiting on a modified saddle for her and rehoming one on teh fayoumi's.

At night she goes in the coop with her peeps but until the above is resolved she spends her day with the meaties and baby heritage turkeys... I swear she tries to line them up to march single file to the food we scatter about to encourage freeranging... imagine military style meaties lining up for food! [​IMG]

She is probably telling the newbies that she is boss so listen to me!

Can you post a picture?

3. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    My sweetest and friendliest chicken was the rooster but I had to give him away as we cannot have roosters. The new owner who has had him for couple of months reports he is still very friendly. My MEANEST chicken is the top hen...girls.

4. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I have only ever had two silkies. Both were males. One was sweet and never bothered anybody. The other was an absolute terror towards all-human and chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by