My silkie just died, and her partner is taking it worse then I am.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whitewinterwolf, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    What should I do?
    Snow-ball my little Silkie just had to be culled because her crook neck came back with a vengeance and we just could not help her this time...
    Stella has been standing at the gate screaming all day for Snow-ball to come back, she is the only Silkie now and I am really perplexed as to what to do.
    Will Stella just get over it? Or should I be getting her a new silkie friend that reminds her of Snow-ball? Or will any chicken do?
    She really is making quite the racket.
    Help?

2. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Chickens are social animals. She will probably be very lonely without another chicken friend. Sorry about your Snow-Ball.

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Alright, so the best thing to do would be to get her a friend? Can it be any type of bird, or should it be another Silkie?

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Get her a friend-asap. She should bond with any type of bird easily.

When I raised chicks last year-I purchased 3 faverolles. 1 died at 4 days. The other two bonded very closely to one another. 1 of the two was disgustingly murdered by a coon and the other one was more traumatized from losing her only friend than the actual attack. I was unable to get her another friend so I had to introduce her to my adult flock-way too early. She was not ready, too young, and especially, all alone. It was a terrible mistake. She's okay now, but I'd never do that again.

She won't care the breed, she just wants a friend.

5. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    A mirror and a stuffed animal will help til you can locate a buddy for her. How sad.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes...I would try to find another silkie or similarly gentle, mild mannered bantam breed for her to "adopt" as a companion. Poor thing...

7. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Alright, will be on a hunt for a bantam breed! Thank you so much for the input, this is just one really cruddy situation...

8. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Im going to try the stuffed animal thing as she has returned to the gate today and is continuing her screaming. Im going to have to separate her from the others to, they keep picking on her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by